The Office of Life, Justice and Peace has hosted a webinar series to facilitate conversation and foster learning in the current pandemic. Learn more about COVID-19, the impact on today’s culture, and receive encouragement in your response as a parishioner, parish leader, family member, or healthcare profession. Select a presentation below to view past webinars.
Love Your Neighbor and Get Vaccinated: Science, Ethics and the COVID-19 Vaccines Webinar
On Friday, March 26 the California Catholic Conference and the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics at Santa Clara University hosted a webinar designed to help archdiocesan and parish staff to understand the moral, ethical, and medical aspects of the COVID-19 pandemic and to offer answers to common concerns and questions. Presenters offered explanations of the official Catholic teaching on the COVID-19 vaccinations, as well as their medical efficacy.
Welcome by Archbishop José Gomez, Archdiocese of Los Angeles
- Dr. Charles Binkley, MD: Director of Bioethics, Markkula Center for Applied Ethics at Santa Clara University
- Fr. Luke Dysinger, OSB, MD, DPhil.: Professor of Church History and Moral Theology, St. John’s Seminary
- Mr. Isaac Cuevas: Director of Immigration and Public Affairs, Archdiocese of Los Angeles
View resources shared during Webinar 4: “How Catholic Mental Health Ministries can Support Parishioners during COVID-19”
MINISTRY IN THE TIME OF COVID-19:
Parish ministries are not meeting face to face right now. But, that doesn’t mean your ministry has to slow down! Now is a great time to reach new people, educate and form parishioners, and accompany those in need. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Hold online meetings or events
- Invite speakers or create panels of experts on a subject
- Ask your parish office if there is a list of sick or homebound parishioners who could use friendly phone calls
- Identify a local service organization and do a virtual fundraiser
- Participate in a rosary novena for peace
- Listen to Pope Francis’ audience messages about Catholic social ministry and discuss
- Watch videos on Catholic Social Teaching and have a virtual discussion
- Promote Civilize It in your parish through email, social media, or phone conversations. Encourage people to be active this political season but to keep the focus on living their faith and loving their neighbor! (Download the Pledge 2020 and the Bulletin Insert (PDF Versions)
If you need ideas on how to better engage your parish community feel free to contact Gina Vides at firstname.lastname@example.org or (213) 637-7690
Click here for quick tutorials on how to use Zoom to engage with your ministry virtually.
Click here to learn how to Schedule a Meeting (1 Minute and 7 seconds long)
Click here for information on Meeting Room Controls (so you can administer in-meeting aspects, like participants, chat room, and screen sharing) (10 Minutes and 16 seconds long)
Click here to read a ‘Getting started’ article.
Click here for further concerns about Zoom’s security features.