St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church
10828 Moorpark Street
North Hollywood, CA 91602-2206 United States
7:15 am, 8:30 am, 10:00 am, 11:30 am, 1:00 pm, 3:00 pmSpanish & 5:00 pm
Friday 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm First Fridays 8:00 am – 9:00 am and 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm
Weekly Mass Schedule
3:00 pm (Spanish)
Holy Days of Obligation
Vigil: 5:00 pm; Day: 7:30 am, 8:45 pm, 12:05 pm, 7:00 pm
All Saints’ Day
Immaculate Conception of The Blessed Virgin Mary
Saint Charles Borromeo, founded in 1920, is a Roman Catholic Church that serves the North Hollywood community in Southern California. The church, located at the corner of Lankershim and Moorpark, is a beautiful building depicting Spanish, colonial-style architecture.
Our History and the Priests of Saint Charles Borromeo
Ministries and activities that are available
Staff and the dedicated parishioners of our faith community.
We are faithful to the priorities set and lived by those who call Saint Charles Borromeo their spiritual home. We invite all those interested to join us in keeping our priorities as a Catholic family alive. Thank you for your interest and for stopping by.Saint Charles Borromeo Church History
Our Early Years and Development
Originally a mission of Holy Trinity Church in Burbank (now St. Robert Bellarmine), Mass was celebrated in the Mulhall family home by Father Ernest Leguyader. As the Catholic community of the 1920s grew, it elected to purchase an existing church structure on the corner of Weddington and Bakman and petitioned the Chancery for a resident pastor. In 1921 Reverend Anselme Bois was appointed pastor and the parish was named Immaculate Conception.
Following Father Bois was Father Leo Murphy as pastor. Four years later, during the pastorate of Father Emmet Panner the name was changed to what we know today as Saint Charles Borromeo, and the church was enlarged to accommodate 250 worshipers. In 1927 Father Edward Riordan came for two years followed by Father Michael Lalor. In 1936, Reverend Harry C. Meade was appointed pastor of Saint Charles Parish. Realizing immediately the property on Bakman and Weddington was not large enough to accommodate a full parish plant, he purchased seven 50-foot by 150-foot lots on Moorpark Street and accepted the donation of the site for the Church (now the Social Center) from the Goykes family, parishioners of Saint Charles.
St. Charles Borromeo
October 2, 1538 – November 3, 1584
A new structure
The new $50,000 church was designed by Lawrence Viole, a specialist in Spanish architecture. It had a seating capacity of 600 and was reminiscent of San Carlos Mission in Carmel, burial place of Padre Junipero Serra. The equipment was modern and the oak altar was a masterpiece of handicraft. The bell in the church tower, brought from the original church, was cast in Baltimore, Maryland in 1897, and is now permanently mounted in the courtyard of the present church.
The first Mass was sung by Father Meade on July 17, 1938. The formal dedication of the church was held on January 22, 1939, with archbishop John. J. Cantwell as celebrant. Assisting him on that occasion was his secretary, the Reverend Timothy Manning (who later become Cardinal Archbishop of Los Angeles). The rectory, in matching Spanish style, was ready for occupancy on January 1, 1939.
To meet the needs of the growing Hispanic community at the northern margin of the parish, Msgr. Meade established the mission church of Santa Susanna in 1942. The mission church was closed and sold in 1983 to vast industrialization of the area. In September of 1947, classes were held for the first time in a new solid concrete school building which had 14 classrooms, a cafeteria, library, music room and auditorium. The property across the street, to be used for additional parking and two classrooms, was purchased in 1948 for $50,000. The small building there is now used for group meetings and home to the Service Center.
The present church
In 1952, the property on which the present church stands, was purchased for $110,000. Exemplifying the Spanish colonial style, the Church conveys a spirit of serenity and repose. Construction was completed in 1959. The main altar was consecrated by Bishop Aldon J. Bell. On Thanksgiving Day, parishioners, in solemn procession, moved into the new Saint Charles Borromeo Church.
Actually, at one time, several parishes had all or part of their territory within the boundaries of Saint Charles Parish. Our Lady of the Holy Rosary in Sun Valley, Saint Francis de Sales in Sherman Oaks, Saint Finbar in Burbank, and Saint Patrick in North Hollywood, all grew out of Saint Charles Borromeo. Msgr. Meade retired in 1973 and continued to live in the Parish as Pastor Emeritus until his death on April 11, 1978.
The Parish was fortunate in the appointment of Msgr. Kevin Keane as pastor, for he had served her previously as assistant for 12 years. He is remembered for his spirituality as he stressed opportunities for retreats, an Adult and Children’s Religious Education program. It was during his administration that the magnificent Von Zoeren organ was installed and dedicated in a three day celebration, culminating with a Mass of Thanksgiving and Inaugural Concert on Sunday, November 20, 1983. The instrument provides a fitting accompaniment to the internationally known Saint Charles Choir.
For over 60 years, this parish was blessed with the musical artistry of Paul Salamunovich as Choir Director. His unique dedication to promoting the tradition of the finest of Sacred Music in Catholic Liturgy brought him innumerable honors. Upon Mr. Salamunovich’s retirement in 2009, Mr. James Drollinger was appointed Music Director.
Following Msgr. Keane’s retirement in February 1984, he was replaced by Msgr. Thomas Kiefer. Msgr. Kiefer introduced many different parish activities and events. He started the annual Parish Festival in 1985, Pancake Breakfasts, the development of the Service Center as well as the weekly Friendship Sunday tradition of coffee and donuts.
Msgr. Kiefer retired in 2000, and to take the torch from him was former associate pastor Msgr. Robert Gallagher, who was assigned here in January, 2000. During his pastorate, Msgr. Gallagher oversaw the renovation and rebuilding of three parish buildings. Soon after his appointment, the Social Center, formerly the Parish Hall, was renovated to more comfortably accommodate our many parish and school functions. Following this was the replacement of the Service Center building across the street from the church with our current Holy Family Service Center. His grandest achievement was the refurbishment of our church building itself, which was completed in 2014.
Msgr. Gallagher will retire on July 1, 2018. At that time, Father Jose Magaña, former pastor of St. Anthony parish in Long Beach, will become the 10th pastor of St. Charles Borromeo parish.
Newspaper credit: The Tidings, January 3, 1958: “Future St. Charles Church – North Hollywood new church of St. Charles Borromeo will be reinforced concrete and masonry building of Spanish Colonial design. Large dome with cupola will rise above crossing of transepts and nave. Church seating 1000 was designed by J. Earl Trudeau, architect. It will be the Valley parish’s third church.”