Bishop Garcia Diego High School seeks a talented faculty member who will put our students first, strive to educate the entire person, and make a difference in their lives. We seek to attract culturally and academically diverse faculty who strive to be engaged participants in our academic community. The most successful candidates see opportunities before problems, confidently adjust and tailor their instructional approaches to student requirements, and aspire to deliver an instructional experience that is rigorous and relevant.
We seek a dynamic and talented teacher who enjoys secondary education and who can teach a variety of social science courses, including U.S. History, AP US Government, U.S. Government, and Economics. The ideal teacher will create a rich learning environment, employ varied teaching approaches, and use multiple tools to assess student understanding and competencies. The teacher will have the ability to work collaboratively with other social science teachers, will be able to innovate through blended course arrangements if required, and employ differentiated instructional methods in developing and delivering effective lessons to a diverse group of learners. Enthusiasm for classroom innovation and ability to devise a variety of educational experiences is valued at Bishop Diego: use of inquiry-based instructional methods (e.g. POGIL), use of dynamic assessment tools, class discussions, group projects to deepen student understanding. Flexibility, humor and willingness to work with students inside and outside the class are valued. The teacher will have preference for a faith-based, Catholic values-based environment and a proactive orientation to seek parent input and counsel to effectively advance student success.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Lesson planning and implementation
- Delivery of assignments and timely evaluation of all relevant class work and student progress
- Design and implementation of appropriate, authentic assessments and support of individual student learning styles
- Timely and proactive communication with parents about student progress
- Collaboration with other members of faculty, administration, and staff on experiential, interdisciplinary
and community-based opportunities that add to the school community
- Willingness to adapt and change instructional approaches based on peer and supervisory suggestions
- Participation in school sponsored curricular and extracurricular activities on and off campus
- Effective and timely communication with varied school constituencies in person, and through various electronic forms of communication
- Support for divisional and school-wide initiatives through committee work, where appropriate
- Supervision and/or participation in non-academic activities, including lunch and study hall as appropriate
The successful candidate must have a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph.D. degree in social science, history, economics, political science, or a related field. Minimum of five years teaching experience preferred, however, candidates with less experience may be considered depending on background. The successful candidate will also possess a positive attitude, excellent written and verbal skills, strong organizational skills, and proven success within a work setting that requires collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. The successful candidate must possess or acquire a State of California issued teaching certificate. Ability to lead one or more co-curricular activities is desirable. The school welcomes the opportunity to continue to find ways to diversify its faculty.
Bishop Garcia Diego High School offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and demonstrated accomplishments and comprehensive benefits package.
Interested candidates are encouraged to review our school and curricular philosophy at www.bishopdiego.org. First year applications without certification will be considered. To apply for the position please provide the following to the physical mail or email address below:
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- Copy of Transcript
- Credential Copy
- Letters of Recommendation (3 recent, signed letters of recommendation required)
No Phone Inquiries Please
Social Science Teacher
Attn: Ms. Karen Regan
Bishop Garcia Diego High School 4000 La Colina Road
Santa Barbara, CA 93110
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
Bishop Garcia Diego High School (Santa Barbara)
4000 La Colina Road
Santa Barbara, CA firstname.lastname@example.org