Because all Archdiocesan employees represent the Roman Catholic Church, they are expected to conduct themselves according to the goals and mission of the Church in performing their work. Individuals are to be treated courteously and professionally with the utmost regard for confidentiality.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE POSITION
The Parish Secretary provides secretarial and administrative support to Pastor and Parish Administrator.
Under the direction of the Parish Administrator, the Parish Secretary is responsible for the following:
• Maintains parish records (members and sacraments) in ParishSoft Family Suite and prepares reports as needed.
• Scheduling the use of parish facilities.
• Act as a receptionist by answering telephones and greeting visitors; use tact and discretion when handling Parishioners in need of assistance.
• Prepare and manage incoming and outgoing mail, including mailing projects.
• Prepares various correspondence, schedules, forms, note-taking, composing correspondence, reviewing drafts, and finished documents to ensure correct grammar and spelling.
• Ordering and maintaining records of office and religious supplies and materials.
• Adhere to deadlines based on the parish/Diocesan calendars.
• Receiving and recording payments and donations according to Parish money-counting policies.
• Prepare and maintain Mass Intention book, payments, and Mass cards.
• Responsible for petty cash according to Parish money-counting policies.
• Other related tasks as assigned.
• Maintains effective working relationships with Parish and School staff and other ministries to coordinate activities as appropriate.
• Actively support philosophy and goals of the Church; attends services; assists with ministries and similar activities.
• Understands the importance of confidentiality of church records and conversations.
• Perform related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• General office procedures, familiarity with office equipment (computer, copier, fax machine, adding machine) and excellent spelling and grammatical skills.
• Above average typing/word processing skills, excellent organization skills and the ability to understand and follow instruction, as well as to work independently.
• Cordial and effective communication with priests, parishioners, vendors, committee members, officers of Church Councils, school faculty and families, and Diocesan office personnel is an ongoing necessity.
• Trustworthy, reliable, willing to maintain confidentiality, and the ability to complete routine and delegated assignments in a timely matter are essential.
• Computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Canva, Adobe.
• Occasionally lift up to 20 pounds
• Sit for sustained periods of time on a daily basis
• Perform tasks requiring intermittent bending, stooping, and walking
• Sustain frequent movement of the fingers, wrists, hands, and arms
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• Active member of the Roman Catholic faith community.
• High school graduate.
• Prior experience of at least two years as a secretary.
St. Rita Catholic Parish (Sierra Madre)
50 E. Alegria Avenue
Sierra Madre, CA firstname.lastname@example.org