Junipero Serra High School- Catholic College Preparatory in Gardena, California, is considering applications for an English Teacher for 2023/2024 academic school year: Candidates should be team players, able to collaborate easily with colleagues and passionate about teaching and their field of discipline. Strong organizational and class management skills needed as well as the ability to communicate regularly and effectively with all stakeholders including parents, other colleagues, administration and students. The successful candidate must demonstrate up-to-date knowledge of the content area and be able to engage students using a wide variety of teaching strategies, updating Gradebook weekly, developing 21st century skills, and educating the whole child, mind and spirit. Candidates must be highly skilled at planning, organizing, and developing curriculum to reach the needs of all learners. This position includes AP English Language and Literature college prep courses. Candidates will also effectively collaborate with colleagues to integrate the English department goals as well as the school mission.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Instructs the English content and skills using a student-centered approach guided by the Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
- Instructs students in basic communication skills and other general elements of the course of study common to all teachers
- Adapts material and methods to develop relevant sequential assignments that guide and challenge students
- Evaluates each student’s progress in English skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) using a wide- array of formative and summative assessments
- Creates effective assessments that track and ensure student learning
- Collaborates with colleagues within the English Department (as well as colleagues in other academic departments) on curriculum and pedagogy
- Creates and maintains a safe and orderly classroom environment in which students can learn and enjoy learning
- Provides individual and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student
- Establishes and maintains the cooperation of the school administration standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment
- Maintains professional competence through participation in service education activities provided by the school and/or self-selected professional growth activities
- Identifies student needs, and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude and learning problems
- Regularly communicates with parents and school counselors on the individual student’s progress.
- Supervises students in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day.
- Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs within the school, and with specified educational partners
- Performs basic attendance, accounting and business services as required
- Shares in the sponsorship of student activities and participates in faculty committees.
- Performs other significant duties as may be reasonably assigned
- Preferred knowledge of Google Suite (Google Drive, Google Classroom, etc)
- Prior experience with a LMS such as PowerSchool.
Candidates must embrace the mission and values of the Catholic Church and Junipero Serra High School. BA in the subject area is required as well as a minimum three years teaching experience as a High School English Teacher and also in teaching AP English. Candidates must be familiar with Common Core State Standards. California Teaching Credential and/or Masters in the subject matter or related field is required. Familiarity with online grading resources such as blackboard and turnitin.com is preferred.
“$41,494 – $74,717; Compensation commensurate with level of experience, relevant professional certifications, and/or degrees earned.”
- Junipero Serra High School is committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff. If interested in this job opening, please submit (1) a resume, (2) a statement of interest and philosophy of education (no more than two pages). All materials should be sent electronically.
- Please email both of the above mentioned documents to Mr. Guzman- Principal (email@example.com) and Mr. Wissa- Vice principal (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
Junipero Serra High School (Gardena)
14830 Van Ness Ave.
Gardena, CA email@example.com