St. Bernard High School in Playa del Rey, just north of LAX, seeks a head varsity football coach for the 2021-22 season. SBHS is a co-educational, Catholic high school whose mission is to assist students in finding their passion and developing that passion through curricular, co-curricular, and Christian service experiences as we prepare them for heaven, college, and career.
SBHS hopes to have a coach in place by the end of May to ensure our student-athletes have an opportunity to hear the vision for the program and learn about summer conditioning in preparation for the continued success of the Viking Football Program. The Head Coach must be a strong and passionate leader able to instruct the program’s coaches and student athletes in the system, fundamental skills, strategies, and physical training necessary to develop their talents along with individual and team success. The Head Football Coach must realize and appreciate the need for the football program to work with other sports as a complement to the entire athletic department, school, and local community within the primary objective of Catholic education. In addition, under the direction of the School Principal, Athletic Director and CIF SS guidelines, to instill the values of good sportsmanship and fair play along with providing St. Bernard High School a positive role model for each student athlete and assistant coach in the program.
Bachelor’s degree is required. A valid California Teacher’s Credential, Head coaching or equivalent experience is preferred. Two years previous high school varsity coaching or equivalent required. Valid CPR and First Aid card. Must also be certified in the state required NFHS Coaching Principles Class. Practicing Catholic applicants are preferred.
– Must have a working knowledge of and a strong commitment to the mission of the Archdiocese and Catholic Church and experience or a desire to work in a Catholic school.
– Comprehensive knowledge of the game is paramount. Extensive knowledge of current coaching techniques and procedures.
– Comprehension of CIF Southern Section Rules, Regulations and Guidelines.
– Demonstrated ability to instruct and supervise student athletes.
– Understanding of fundraising and support of financial structures of a Catholic school
– The applicant must possess a strong ability to communicate in spoken and written word to all stakeholders including students, staff, parents, local community, press, and college scouts and representatives.
– Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
– Utilization of technology is required; understanding of Google Educational Suite preferred.
– The applicant must possess the ability to relate to students and empower them on and off the field, in the classroom, and teach and practice accountability.
– Ability to assess player and coach progression and communicate that clearly.
– The applicant must possess a high level of organizational skills
– The applicant should be a progressive thinker with a focus on planning and preparation.
– The applicant must carry themselves within the mission and vision of the Catholic Church.
– The applicant should be able to function at a high capacity in a fast-paced environment.
– Exercise courtesy to fellow employees, coaches, students, and the general public.
– The applicant should be a person who cares about his character, team, and staff.
– The applicant should reflect a balanced quality lifestyle evidenced by personal habits: spiritually, physically, emotionally, and mentally.
– Must be a self-starter; well organized; perform multiple tasks simultaneously and work with a sense of urgency.
– Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Applicants should email Ms. Jamie Mark, Athletic Director, at email@example.com with a resume and cover letter indicating why the candidate is a great match for St. Bernard High School.
St. Bernard High School (Playa del Rey)
9100 Falmouth Ave
Playa del Rey, CA firstname.lastname@example.org