St. John Bosco High School is a private, boy’s Catholic high school owned and operated by the Salesians of Don Bosco.
SCOPE AND ROLE OF THE SALESIAN EDUCATOR
A Salesian Educator will promote academic excellence and support the faith development of young men in a private, Catholic secondary school setting. A Salesian Educator must work in collaboration with parents, students, teachers, administration, and community in order to promote student success while supporting the faith development / formation of young men.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(including, but not limited to)
This position is anticipated to teach primarily World Literature and Composition II Honors but may also include other English courses. The following is a summary of major duties and responsibilities:
• Facilitates learning through a student-centered approach consistent with California Common Core State Standards.
• Focuses on learning outcomes by using assessment data to drive instruction.
• Instructs students in basic communication skills and other general elements of the course of study common to all teachers.
• Adapts English course material and methods to develop relevant sequential assignments that guide and challenge students.
• Determines instructional materials designed to achieve instructional goals and behavioral objectives.
• Collaborates with the English department to select books and instructional aids appropriate to the interest and maturity level of students.
• Encourages students to think independently and to express original ideas.
• Evaluates each student’s progress and prepares progress reports as needed/requested.
• Provides individual and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
• Establishes and maintains with cooperation of the school administration standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment.
• Maintains professional competence through participation in service education activities provided by the school and/or self-selected professional growth activities.
• Identifies student needs, and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
• Communicates with parents and school counselors on the individual student’s progress.
• Supervises students in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day.
• Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs within the school.
• Performs basic attendance accounting and business services as required.
• Shares in the sponsorship of student activities and participates in faculty committees.
• Performs other concomitant duties as may be reasonably assigned.
St. John Bosco High School is strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff. All interested applicants must submit the following: (1) a list of references with contact information; (2) a current resume; (3) and a personal statement, no more than two pages, on the applicant’s philosophy on teaching and learning Literature and Composition. All materials should be sent electronically to email@example.com.
• Bachelor’s Degree, preferably with a major or minor in Literature/Composition or related field of study.
• At least two years of experience as an English teacher in a comprehensive high school setting.
• Should have a relentless focus on ensuring all students are successful in meeting learning targets.
• Knowledge of and advocacy for the mission of Catholic Education.
• Master’s Degree in English/Literature/Composition, Education, or a related field.
• General Secondary or Single Subject Credential in English or equivalent.
• Understanding of educating students with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
• Experience with a Learning Management System (LMS) and Google Apps for Education (e.g., Google Docs, Google Sheets) in a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) or 1:1 technology environment.
• Active collaborator and communicator with fellow educators, counselors, students, parents, and administration.
$50,000 – $65,000
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
St. John Bosco High School (Bellflower)
13640 Bellflower Blvd
Bellflower, California firstname.lastname@example.org