Verbum Dei is a Jesuit Catholic, Cristo Rey high school that offers young men from supportive families of limited resources a college prep curriculum, corporate work experience and faith formation that prepare them to graduate from college as men-with-and-for-others who serve their communities and pursue a more just and humane world for all.
1. Jesuit education that is rooted in the Gospel and inspired by the example of Jesus to promote the full, integral development of students—physical, moral, intellectual, spiritual– so that they embrace challenges, are intellectually motivated, religious, loving, and committed to justice.
2. Cooperation as the hallmark of a community where each person receives the attention, encouragement and support to succeed academically, personally and professionally; and where the common good takes precedence over the interests of any individual or group.
3. Excellence of effort from students, faculty and staff in the classroom, on the job and in co-curricular activities.
4. Generosity of spirit and self-sacrifice that reflects Jesus’ teaching that “…anything you did for one of my brothers or sisters, however humble, you did for me.”
5. Inclusive community of students, parents, faculty, staff, board, donors, alumni, and corporate sponsors that welcomes diverse persons, perspectives, and experiences and respects the God-given dignity of every human being.
6. Integrity evidenced by truthfulness, decency and consideration for others consistently reflected in work, study, activities, and life decisions.
7. Resilience in the face of adversity and challenges.
Candidates must have previous experience teaching in a high school setting or with high school students.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in English or a related field.
Candidates must be knowledgeable, sensitive, and inclusive of all cultures, in particular those served by Verbum Dei and of the local community.
Candidates must possess a willingness to promote all areas of Jesuit education.
Desirable Qualifications: Masters degree and/or California Teaching Credential
Prior background and experience in the study, practice and teaching of English, especially in an urban environment.
Successful experience working with students and parents in an urban setting.
Additional Duties: Additional duties include weekly yard duty, proctoring, study hall monitoring, after-school tutoring and substitute teaching. All Verbum Dei teachers need to feel comfortable with, and actively participate in, the spiritual and co-curricular aspects of the school.
Interested candidates should submit a Letter of Intent explaining your interest in Verbum Dei High School. Please include ways in which you would contribute to the mission and what elements of your background and experience make you a good candidate for our community. Please also attach a resume with your submission. Intent letter and resume should be emailed to Maria McDonald, Dean of Academics, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Verbum Dei High School (Los Angeles)
11100 S Central Ave
Los Angeles, CA email@example.com