The Director of Resident Life is a live-in administrative position responsible for all elements of the boarding program. The Director of Residential Life reflects in all interactions with students, parents, faculty and staff that he or she is a dedicated professional who understands and supports the Mission of Villanova Preparatory School, to graduate mature young adults of diverse backgrounds by providing a challenging college preparatory curriculum in a Catholic environment that promotes the development of mind, heart and body within a residential program.
The Director of Resident Life works to support students’ social, emotional, academic, and spiritual development. The position supervises and provides direction to a staff of Resident Assistants, works closely with other administrators and faculty, and communicates regularly with parents and guardians of resident students.
Reports to: Assistant Headmaster
Duties and Responsibilities
Including, but not limited to:
Residential Life Program
● Develops, plans, and implements a residential life curriculum.
● Oversees the planning and organization of resident trips, activities, service projects, and events.
● Utilizes best practices in student development to create a supportive residential and educational environment.
● Plans and coordinates resident student orientations.
● Schedules times for resident students to attend Mass.
● Organizes weekly resident life meetings and reflection sessions for the resident students.
● Serves as a liaison with the dining services company to coordinate student meals and kitchen access for residential life staff.
Student Supervision and Support Responsibilities
● Ensures the security and safety of students and a healthy living environment.
● Knows and is available and accessible to all resident students.
● Models and encourages students to act in ways that are in keeping with the school’s Augustinian values.
● Coordinates medical and counseling support for resident students.
● Manages the intersection of the school’s academic, athletic, extracurricular, and boarding programs to ensure their complementary operations.
● Monitors resident student travel for holidays and breaks.
● Manages the student check-out system.
● Coordinates academic support for resident students in conjunction with the Counseling department.
Administrative Duties and Responsibilities
● Supervises members of the Resident Life staff.
● Organizes weekly staff meetings which focus on best practices for residential programs and provides continued opportunities for the growth and development of the Resident Life staff.
● Maintains residence hall budget so there is no deficit.
● Participates in the selection, training and evaluation of Resident Life staff.
● Serves as a member of the Administrative Council.
● Schedules residential life staff work hours to maintain appropriate supervision in the residential life program.
● Maintains regular communication with resident students and parents.
● Assists with the annual review and revision of the Resident Life Handbook.
● Additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
● Ability to demonstrate the Augustinian values of truth, unity, and love.
● Ability to work in a collaborative administrative environment.
● Ability and willingness to live in a high school residential environment.
● Demonstrates knowledge of residence life operations and implements best practices.
● Displays excellent interpersonal/human relations skills with a diverse body of constituents.
● Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
● Maintains confidentiality in dealings with students, parents and colleagues.
● Displays flexibility and patience in dealing with students, parents, and colleagues.
● Ability to effectively mediate and resolve conflicts.
● Ability and willingness to drive students in school vehicles.
● Holds a Bachelor’s degree.
● Pass a Live Scan Background check and complete VIRTUS training.
Villanova Preparatory School is a private, co-ed Catholic college preparatory boarding and day school with grades 9-12 located on 130 acres in beautiful Ojai, California. Villanova Preparatory School operates under the ownership of the Western Province of the Order of St. Augustine with an enrollment of 215 students, is an IB World School, and is accredited by the Western Catholic Education Association and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume with at least three references to Dr. Matthew Mallon, Assistant Headmaster at email@example.com
Villanova Preparatory School (Ojai)
12096 N Ventura Ave