The Director of Faith Formation plans, develops, organizes, and evaluates the Faith Formation Program for the Parish. The programming focus will be on the formation and equipping of disciples. The Director of Faith Formation will use principles of servant leadership to maintain a parish culture that is transparent, collaborative and responsible, and consistently supports the parish mission, “To form loving disciples who will transform the world.”
- Provides leadership in developing and promoting the vision and mission of Faith Formation in the Parish.
- Develops goals, objectives, and implements strategies for a comprehensive faith formation program that serves early childhood through adults, including preparation for sacraments.
- Directs and oversees various faith formation programs that support a lifelong deepening of the Catholic faith for all parishioners.
- Collaborates with St Monica Preparatory School Dean of Faith Formation on campus-wide faith formation initiatives.
- Directs and oversees RCIA program.
- In cooperation with the Director of Engagement, is responsible for the recruitment, orientation, and training of volunteers/catechists to conduct the parish’s catechetical programs.
- Evaluates existing faith formation programs and makes recommendations to the Pastor.
- Promotes Faith Formation programs and provides marketing materials for the parish website, social media, and, digital newsletter.
- Keeps current in developments/changes with Diocesan policies as they relate to formation and sacramental practices.
- Prepares annual formation program budget for review by the Finance Council and oversees programmatic expenditures.
- Develops an accurate statistical picture of the sacramental prep efforts at St Monica and submits reports to the Pastor and Parish Pastoral Council as requested.
- Attends & participates in weekly Ministry Director team meetings.
- Attends and Participates in weekly all-staff zoom meeting.
- Attends & participates in off-site pastoral team meetings/retreats.
- Takes lead in preparing for Sacramental celebrations
- Attends regional meetings convened by the Diocesan Office of Catechetical Ministry.
- Attends diocesan Ministry/Catechetical Congress; attends appropriate workshops and Professional Development Days.
- Keeps credentials current for diocesan certification as a Catechetical Leader.
- Performs any other job-related duties as necessary for the smooth flow of work in the department and/or as assigned by the Pastor and/or Parish Director of Administration.
- Full-time exempt position, 40 hours per week. Some weekend and holiday work will be required.
- Located at St Monica Catholic Community in Santa Monica, California.
- A background check and Safe Environment training are required of all parish employees and volunteers.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications for the position.
- Employee benefits include vacation and sick time; health, dental, and vision insurance; and a pension plan. (Pension plan eligibility requires a minimum of one full year of employment.)
- Must be able to thrive in a team environment. Ability to build and launch teams in formation programming.
- Ability to form volunteers into leaders and then delegate responsibility.
- Ability to initiate, be creative, and anticipate solutions to problems, needs good judgment in emergency situations and when working with varied personalities and cultures; must be able to work under frequent interruptions.
- Possess excellent planning, organizational and collaborative skills.
- Practicing Catholic with some knowledge and training in Theology and Liturgy in the Roman Catholic tradition.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with others.
- Computer literacy, excellent written, oral communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain accurate fiscal records and budgetary and statistical data.
- Ability to interact with individuals and groups and maintain appointments and meetings on parish grounds and through video conferencing.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to travel as required.
- The Director of Faith Formation will be expected to work 40 hours per week including evenings and weekends.
- Working Knowledge of Catholic doctrine and beliefs as presented in the documents of Vatican II council, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and other relevant Church and Catechetical Documents.
- Knowledge of the RCIA Process and the thorough understanding of RCIA text.
- Working Knowledge of management, supervision, and administration; knows needs and resources of the parish community; updated knowledge of educational and catechetical trends and practices.
- Degree in theology, pastoral studies, religious education, or a related field (Master’s Degree preferred).
- Three years of formation experience in a parish or diocesan position. Related degrees and comparable experience will be considered.
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
St Monica (Santa Monica)
725 California Ave
Santa Monica, CA email@example.com