The Academic and College Counselor (10th – 12th Grade Counselor) proactively collaborates with parents, teachers and staff to support the educational, personal, and vocational growth of tenth, eleventh and twelfth grade students. This role works closely with the Director of College Counseling to provide students with comprehensive, individualized counseling to ensure academic and emotional progress, and planning for the college application process. In addition, the counselor will work with faculty, staff and parents to address any concerns.
● Aids in executing all college information programs such as the Summer College Intensive, college application workshops, Financial Aid Night, Scoreback Night, Valley Catholic High Schools College Fair, Case Studies Program, student workshops, and grade-level information nights for students and parents.
● Works with Director of College Counseling to develop and send all college counseling communications, including pushpages and targeted reminder emails.
● Maintains and updates the Summer Program Opportunities and College Scholarship resource boards on MyLouisville.
● Facilitates on-campus visits by college representatives.
● Communicates regularly with college admission counselors, including counselor calls in the fall and spring.
● Works with Director of College Counseling to coordinate all college tours.
● Obtains permission from all senior families to submit seniors’ GPAs to qualify for the Cal Grant.
● Prepares introductions for recipients of senior awards based on caseload to be read by Principal at Baccalaureate Reception.
● Meets with each student and parents in the spring of the junior year and in the fall of the senior year to plan and facilitate the college application process.
● Provides academic and social/emotional counseling and intervention to all sophomores, juniors and seniors on the counselor’s caseload. Works with Administration, faculty, and staff to provide overall support for students as needed.
● Meets with students who are on academic probation or who have received academic deficiency notices and assists them in improving their performance.
● Assists students in identifying their interests and abilities and measure themselves in terms of what will be required of them in college.
● Oversees Naviance Succeed and SCOIR, college planning programs.
● Helps students understand the purpose and nature of national testing programs (SAT and ACT) and the meaning of test scores.
● Applies for College Board and/or ACT accommodations for students who have a documented need.
● Keeps students informed about application procedures and deadlines, and publicizes off-campus college programs and events.
● Ensures that students are informed about scholarship and financial aid opportunities.
● Attends state, local, and professional meetings throughout the year to keep abreast of changing practices in college admission.
● Proctors Advanced Placement Exams.
● Completes secondary school reports and letters of recommendation, and coordinates the teacher recommendation request process.
● Maintains records of college admission for Louisville graduates.
● Bachelor’s Degree in Counseling, Psychology or related field.
● Master’s Degree in Counseling and/or Pupil Personnel Services Credential preferred.
● At least two years of experience working with the academic and personal needs of high school age students and parents in a school setting required.
● Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and/or confidential information with parents, teachers and administrators.
● Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and decision-making.
● Excellent organization, written and oral communication skills.
● Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
● Experience with student and parent programming and informational sessions
● Experience in college admissions or high school college counseling.
● Experience with high-stakes test coordinating and/or proctoring (AP, SAT, ACT) a plus.
● Familiarity with Naviance, a comprehensive K-12 college and career readiness solution, a plus.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to our HR Manager at HR@louisvillehs.org.
Louisville High School (Woodland Hills)
Woodland Hills, CA 91362HR@louisvillehs.org