The Early Childhood program provides the following guidelines which promote child development principles, age appropriate activities and Catholic faith development.
- Teachers should be certified.
- Class size should be maintained as follows:
- 3 year olds – maximum of 8
- 4 year olds – maximum of 10
- 5 year olds – maximum of 12
- The principal catechist must be an adult.
- Parents need to understand and support the philosophy of the program.
- Approved textbooks and materials should be used.
- Creative art experiences, music and movement activities should be used as often as possible.
- Each lesson should be carefully planned.
- Spontaneous prayer is the heart of every lesson and should be inserted throughout the class.
- While scriptural themes are basic to the program, scriptural readings are not appropriate for this age group.
- Strong, positive images of God are stressed.
- Special celebrations are planned with the level of the child in mind.
- Human, concrete experiences from the everyday life of the child form the basic “content” of this religion‐readiness program.
To learn more about our guidelines, please contact us at (213) 637-7359 or email us at: