Holy Cross Catholic Church (Santa Barbara)
1740 Cliff Dr.
Santa Barbara, CA 93109 United States
9:00 am & 11:15 amSpanish
Saturday: 4:00pm (Bi-Lingual)
Weekly Mass Schedule
11:15 am (Spanish)
Holy Days of Obligation
All Saints’ Day
Immaculate Conception of The Blessed Virgin Mary
Holy Cross is situated in the neighborhood of Santa Barbara known as the Mesa. Giving truth to its name, The Mesa of Santa Barbara is, in fact, a mesa, the Spanish word for flat-topped table that sits above the city. With phenomenal views the Mesa stretches from Santa Barbara City College on the east and extends two and a half miles up to Hendry’s Beach.
By the end of World War II the oil derricks had been moved off shore to make way for small family homes and the Mesa was being populated by young families and returning military personnel.
The young population of the Mesa was going down the hill to St. Joseph’s Chapel for services and pastoral needs; but in 1954 progress couldn’t be stopped and the Chapel was slated for demolition in order to make way for the new US Highway 101.
Bishop Joseph McGucken thought a new Church on the Mesa would best serve the neighborhood residents and the whole of Santa Barbara. On September 28, 1958, a Mass was held on the vacant lot on Cliff Drive. The Mass kicked off a pledge drive which brought in over $100,000, well over what was needed to get started building the Church.
Many assumed the name St. Joseph’s would remain, but in 1959 news came from the Chancery that the Church would be named after the small island visible from the front of the Church, Holy Cross (Santa Cruz).
On January 10, 1960, Fr. Kelly celebrated a special Mass at Holy Cross with the dedication by His Eminence James Francis Cardinal McIntyre. Holy Cross remained a Mission Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe until April 2, 1973, when Holy Cross officially became Holy Cross Parish, and Fr. (later Msgr.) Thomas Hayes became the first Pastor. Six days later three members of the Legion family were baptized, and the first names entered into the official Sacramental Records of the Parish.