As a representative of St. Gregory the Great Church there is the expectation of the Office Assistant to conduct one’s self according to the goals and mission of the Church. Under the direction of the Pastor and Business Manager, Office Assistant is responsible for performing a variety of duties, as required.
This position is a non-exempt. 32 hours per week including Saturdays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Assists the Pastor & Business Manager in executing parish goals and objectives.
• Assists parishioners both in the office and over the telephone in a professional and
• Answers telephones, greeting visitors and notifying the appropriate person.
• Fosters communication and works collaboratively with all parish employees as
• Maintains security of both persons and information at all times; respects
confidentiality and privacy.
• Assists with key management, i.e. sign-in log, track down missing keys.
• Assists parishioners with Mass Intentions.
• Receives and acknowledges (provide receipts for) monetary payment for sacraments,
donations, ministries, gift shop and as needed.
• Provides information regarding baptisms, marriages, funerals, quinceaneras, and
• Performs other routine clerical duties as requested such as simply typing list,
envelopes or other items, filing folding and stuffing envelopes, making copies, etc.
• Create, edit and send parish bulletins for print in a prompt matter after approval by
Pastor and Business Manager.
• Prepare liturgy sheets, petitions and announcements for weekend masses.
• Provides and receives baptismal information, maintains baptism records, prepares
necessary certificates for baptism.
• Maintains Pre-Baptismal class enrollment and logs. Follows up with Sacramental
Preparation Classes. Prepares sacramental certificates as needed.
• Provides clergy or Baptism Coordinator with necessary information..
• Is responsible for maintaining order and organization in the office work area.
• Post weekly contributions onto data system and performs other duties as
• Responsible for keeping current on VIRTUS training and for submitting certificate to
• Open and closes parish offices, when appropriate or needed.
• Practicing and active member of a Roman Catholic parish/faith community in good
standing with the Church
• Willing and able to support the mission of the Church, the Pastor, and the
Archdiocese of Los Angeles
• Exercises independent and competent judgment in making decisions relating to job
• Possesses strong communication, clerical, and ministerial skills. Positive, welcoming,
ready to assist, able to handle conflict calmly, etc.
• Education: High school diploma required; any additional diploma will be considered
• At least 2 years of office experience, ministry experience, volunteer experience would
be a plus. Willing to work on Saturdays.
• Proficiency in MS Office tools (Word, Publisher, Excel, Outlook, FB, and YouTube)
• Possesses excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task
• Maintain standards of confidentiality
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team
• Bilingual skills in English/Spanish. (reading, writing and translation)
• Friendly, helpful, positive attitude
• Team player and collaborative
St. Gregory the Great Church ()
13935 Telegraph Road