Junipero Serra High School is a Los Angeles archdiocesan co-educational high school seeking a High School Religion Teacher to any of these courses including Scriptures, Christology, Spiritual Life, Ecclesiology, Sacraments, Morality, Church History, and Vocations high school grade level courses for the 2023 – 2024 academic school year. The ideal candidate is a dynamic, passionate, and well-versed educator with experience in diverse classrooms. Candidates should be team players, able to collaborate easily with colleagues and passionate about teaching and their field of discipline. Strong organizational and class management skills needed as well as the ability to communicate regularly and effectively with all stakeholders including parents, other colleagues, administration and students. The successful candidate must demonstrate up-to-date knowledge of content area and be able to engage students using a wide variety of teaching strategies, updating Gradebook weekly, developing 21st century skills, and educating the whole child, mind and spirit. Candidate must be highly skilled at planning, organizing, and developing curriculum to reach the needs of all learners. Candidate will also effectively collaborate with colleagues to integrate the English department goals as well as the school mission.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Comfortable working in and supportive of faith-based education
- Teaching Religion at the high school level
- Provides individual and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student
- Creates effective assessments that track and ensure student learning
- Establishes and maintains the cooperation of the school administration standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment
- Maintains professional competence through participation in service education activities provided by the school and/or self-selected professional growth activities
- Creates and maintains a safe and orderly classroom environment in which students can learn and enjoy learning
- Identifies student needs, and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude and learning problems
- Regularly communicates with parents and school counselors on the individual student’s progress
- Supervises students in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day
- Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs within the school, and with specified educational partners
- Using a wide- array of formative and summative assessments
- Weekly Gradebook Update
- Meeting the deadlines and submit all materials not limited to course syllabus, unit plans, finals assessments, and final grades
- Using/Developing benchmark assessments
- Collaborating with faculty about student learning data
- Using an inquiry based approach to student learning
- Works within a professional learning community that focuses on student learning data to drive and improve instruction
- Shares in the sponsorship of student activities and participates in faculty committees
- Performs other significant duties as may be reasonably assigned
- Preferred knowledge of Google Suite (Google Drive, Google Classroom, etc)
- Prior experience with a LMS such as PowerSchool.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (required) in Theological Studies or similar course of study (Master’s degree preferred)
- Experience: At least two years of experience as a Religion teacher in a comprehensive Catholic high school setting, Knowledge of and advocacy for the mission of Catholic Education
- Master Degree in Theological Studies
- Certificate of Religious Education,
- Bilingual speaking, reading, and writing abilities (Spanish)
“$41,494 – $74,717; Compensation commensurate with level of experience, relevant professional certifications, and/or degrees earned.”
- Junipero Serra High School is committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff. If interested in this job opening, please submit (1) a resume, (2) a statement of interest and philosophy of education (no more than two pages). All materials should be sent electronically.
- Please email both of the above mentioned documents to Mr. Guzman- Principal (email@example.com) and Mr. Wissa- Vice principal (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
Junipero Serra High School (Gardena)
14830 Van Ness Ave.
Gardena, CA email@example.com