POSITION TITLE: Athletic Director
REPORTS TO: Principal and Vice Principal
SUPERVISES: All Coaches (Varsity, Junior Varsity, Frosh/Soph)
PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Athletic Director is appointed by the Principal and reports directly to the Vice Principal and the Principal. The Athletic Director is responsible for the effective administration of the boys’ and girls’ athletic programs, overseeing head coaches and managing the athletic department.
- Prepares a proposed annual budget for all sports for submission to the Principal.
- Insures that all expenditures for the athletic programs are provided for in the approved budget and are processed according to established school regulations.
- Assists the Principal in hiring and assignment of coaches.
- Becomes familiar with all applicable C.I.F., C.A.A, Leagues and N.C.A.A. policies and regulations.
- In-service all coaches on these policies and regulations with a view to ensuring their implementation in the school’s athletic programs.
- Supervises and formally evaluates coaches in the various programs offered by the school.
- Insures that athletes have undergone the required medical examinations before engaging in practice.
- Maintains a log of all athletic injuries and oversees the filing of appropriate insurance forms.
- Obtains the required parental consent forms and file them in the Athletic Director’s office.
- Prepares and disseminates to teachers and administrators accurate team rosters and accurate team departure times.
- Seeks approval for athletes required to leave campus for competition prior to the sixth period.
- Provides a counseling program for athletes whose eligibility is jeopardized by poor grades or disciplinary attitudes.
- Design proposed master schedules for all sports with input from the head coaches and submits these to the principal for approval.
- Insures that all games scheduled with other schools are covered by valid contracts appropriately executed.
- Arranges for the renting of playing fields and courts as necessary.
- Arranges for employment, payment, and facilities for officials.
- Coordinates the work of the support staff and volunteers in the athletic program including the equipment manager.
- Arranges for the safe and legal transportation of athletes to off-campus sports contests. Coordinates rooter buses for specified athletic events.
- Attends and supervises all football and basketball games (home and away) and all other sports home games especially when a sizable crowd is present.
- Coordinates the Sports Awards Assemblies and banquets.
- Disseminates athletic news to the “Tidings” and the local press in a timely fashion.
- Promotes the Varsity Club on campus.
- Meets with the coaches on a regular basis for policy review.
- Maintains a current inventory of all equipment.
- Oversees the locker room facilities, weight room, gymnasium, and athletic fields, seeking maintenance through the Plant Manager.
- Serves as the school liaison with the Booster Club.
- Assists with the coordination of the Booster Club and staff various locations at the games:
- Concession stand staffing
- Security in stands and parking lot
- Field security
- Chain crew
- Assists Head Football coach in identifying and supervising when necessary sideline personnel:
- First aid personnel/trainers
- Water carriers
- Statistics personnel
- Issues sideline passes in accordance with Athletic Department policies.
- Coordinates placement of security personnel, hired and volunteers, as necessary.
- Serves as a member of the Administrative Council.
- Responsible for the production of the printed Football and Basketball programs.
- Assists in the annual revision of the faculty and student handbooks.
- Provides for the assignment, upkeep, and maintenance of the gym lockers.
- Sees that all coaches abide by the academic/disciplinary eligibility list.
- Performs any other duties assigned by the Principal.
Summer School/Session Duties:
- Prepare a summer practice schedule for all sports taking into account gym space, field time, the needs of incoming freshmen, and sports conflicts for boys’ and girls’ sports
- Prepares appropriate information and forms for the summer school brochure and for parent newsletters.
- Assists the Vice-Principal with the registration of students into summer sports classes and with the generation of roll sheets.
- Defines curriculum content for all summer sports classes and oversees implementation during summer sessions.
- Oversees the use of all equipment and uniforms during the summer session.
- Collects and keeps on file all necessary physical forms and permission slips for athletes involved in the summer session.
- Oversees the locker room facilities, weight room, gymnasium, and athletic fields, between the hours of 12:30 pm and 5:30 pm, Monday-Friday, during summer school, seeking routine maintenance through the Plant Manager.
- Assists the Principal in determining and executing summer capital improvements on sports facilities and athletic fields. Obtains bids and contracts work as directed.
- Obtains proper purchase orders and orders all medical supplies for the upcoming year.
- Obtains proper purchase orders and orders all equipment, supplies, and uniforms for Fall and Winter sports.
- Submits upcoming schedules to appropriate referee assignors for all Fall and Winter sports.
- Assists the Principal in hiring and assignment of coaches.
- Minimum B.A Degree in Liberal Studies or Education
- Teaching experience
- Strong organization and classroom management skills
- Teaching Credential (preferred)
- Masters Degree (preferred)
Please send your resume directly to firstname.lastname@example.org, attn: Juan Guzman – Principal, or call 213-924-6294
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
Santa Clara High School (Oxnard)
2121 S. Saviers Rd
Oxnard, CA email@example.com