The Executive Secretary performs diverse administrative and secretarial duties in support of the Mission Office and its programs, including the Missionary Childhood Association (MCA) which focuses on spreading the Good News of Jesus to children around the world through outreach, prayer and financial support from Children in our Catholic Schools and Parishes.
The Executive Secretary shall perform duties in collaboration with MCA Program Coordinator, Mission Office Staff and under the guidance and supervision of the Associate Director and Director.
The Mission Office at the Archdiocese of Los Angeles promotes the ministry of evangelization through the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS), which serves to remind the faithful of their Baptismal call to mission. This is achieved by gathering support for more than 1,150 mission dioceses in Asia, Africa, the Pacific Islands and Latin America.
The Missionary Childhood Association (MCA) is one of the four Pontifical Mission Societies and is active in 110 countries throughout the world. The goal of MCA is to gather prayers and financial support for children in mission countries, while at the same time animating a missionary spirit and inviting all children to help spread the Good News of Jesus to other children around the world. MCA endeavors to attain its ends through the united efforts of all Catholic children who are taught to recognize that sensitivity to others is an essential dimension of Christianity. MCA’s motto of “Children Helping Children” continues to guide the program today. For more information, visit us at: www.missionsla.org
Because all Archdiocesan employees represent the Roman Catholic Church, they are expected to conduct themselves according to the goals and missions of the Church in performing their work. The Following tasks are considered essential functions of the position. To perform the job
successfully, an employee must possess the abilities/aptitude to perform each duty proficiently.
• Supports in the daily operation of the Missionary Childhood Association (MCA) Program serving as the first point of contact and providing administrative/secretarial support. Assists the Program Coordinator in all MCA-related activities and campaigns.
• Performs numerous duties, including but not limited to scheduling, reporting, record-keeping, filing, correspondence, emailing, phone support and answering questions and requests in the daily operation of Missionary Childhood Association (MCA) and other Mission Office Programs.
• Provides back-up support to Mission Office staff as directed by Associate Director.
• Maintains calendar for all MCA-related meetings and events; makes travel and hotel reservations for out-of-town travel; arranges and coordinates meetings and appointment schedules for Program Coordinator.
• Sets up, organizes and maintains office files and other records for MCA.
• Assists Program Coordinator with maintaining all financial reports (i.e. contributions received, and payments issued) and prepares financial reports for MCA campaigns.
• Implements the scheduled use of facilities in accordance with scheduled events along with preparation of two-yearly Archdiocesan MCA liturgy celebrations.
• Coordinates various meetings, workshops, other activities or events including developing/preparing invitations or other documents; prepares mailings; arranges/coordinates meeting places and refreshments for mission speakers to schools and office.
• Assists with information on MCA campaign policies and procedures.
• Assists Program Coordinator with performing research duties to obtain information; collates, organizes and summarizes data for review and action by others with research from internet, national/local MCA offices.
• Assists Program coordinator in preparing content for use on MCA website and social media.
• Prepares, prints and distributes all publications, (e.g. bulletins and special reports/updates) as needed along with quarterly newsletter and summer school mailing.
• Fills school mailing orders.
• Composes/proofreads correspondence, reports, and memos with minimal input from supervisor for MCA. May perform written or verbal translation (English/Spanish) as necessary.
• Uses computer to type from handwritten material or rough draft copy; reviews drafts and finished documents to ensure correct grammar and spelling; may edit for clarity or effectiveness. May take and transcribe dictation.
• Takes minutes/notes at meetings.
• Performs routine office duties such as ordering/distributing supplies, answering and screening telephone calls, copying, collating and distributing reports, etc. for Program Coordinator and as a back-up for Mission office.
• Assists in special projects as deemed priority in the Mission Office (e.g. mass Stipends, missionary Cooperative Plan, mailings)
• Uses tact and diplomacy to handle sensitive calls and situations and refers them appropriately.
• Maintains the confidentiality of all Mission office program’s generated funds within the confinement of Mission office staff.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, typically:
Education and/or Experience
Any combination of experience and education likely to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, typically:
• High School graduate or equivalent.
• Two years of secretarial training.
• Four years of secretarial experience/administrative position. Familiar with a church-related office environment.
• Able to communicate with all age groups, from varying cultural and social backgrounds
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Simple bookkeeping and record keeping methods and procedures.
• Proficiency on written and oral communication both in English and Spanish.
• Working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office Programs.
• Must have excellent communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational and administrative skills.
• Ability to prioritize tasks, work independently, handle multiple tasks simultaneously and function well under pressure.
• Ability to collaborate with others.
• Typing speed sufficient to meet production requirements (minimum of 60 wpm).
Physical and Environmental Requirements:
• Maintain confidentiality.
• Occasionally lift up to 20 pounds.
• Sit for sustained periods of time on a daily basis.
• Perform tasks requiring intermittent bending, stooping, and walking.
• Sustain frequent movement of the fingers, wrists, hands, and arms.
• Occasionally work on weekends.
Mission Office (Los Angeles)
3424 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA firstname.lastname@example.org