Full-time position for the 2020-2021 school year
Pomona Catholic School, a co-ed 6-8 middle school, and all-girls’ high school, is accepting applications from individuals who seek an administrative position within the Catholic Schools’ of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
The Principal, with the approval of the Department of Catholic Schools, appoints the Vice Principal. The Vice Principal reports directly to the Principal and is responsible for all areas of school operation in the Principal’s absence. The prime responsibility is to assist the Principal in providing and implementing an appropriate program of studies and curriculum policies for the student body. The Vice Principal is also responsible for the fulfillment of various other administrative and organizational functions, serves as Dean of Students and may be asked to teach, in accordance with her/his credential(s) and experience.
1. Implements curriculum, policies and procedures with department chairs.
2. Schedules quarter and semester exams and determines excused and unexcused absences from final exams.
3. Oversees registrar
4. Reviews grades and coordinates the process for distribution of failure notices and progress reports.
5. Publishes the honor roll and arranges for the academic awards assemblies
6. Coordinates the grading and report card process with registrar and teachers.
7. Chairs the Curriculum Committee, Admissions Board, and the Discipline Board.
8. Develops the course catalogue and coordinates with the bookstore the titles of books to be purchased each year after approval by the Principal.
9. Oversees counselors who insure that individual students have met graduation requirements.
10. Assists the Principal in the interviewing and hiring of new teachers.
11. Coordinates the ongoing implementation of the WCEA/WASC recommendations/ annual reports and oversees data library; serves as chairperson of the WCEA/WASC visitation.
12. Organizes the Parent-Teacher conferences.
13. Assists the principal/counselor with developing the master schedule and the master calendar.
14. Collects data for and completes census and surveys.
15. Serves as a member of the:
a. Administrative team
b. Consultative School Board
c. Safeguard the Children Committee
16. Responsible for completing any work permits requested by students.
17. Assists in the annual revision of the student/parent and faculty handbooks.
18. Assists in yard and hall supervision during break and lunch and as needed.
19. Perform any other duties assigned by the Principal.
1. Supervises and evaluates all faculty members.
2. Conducts informal classroom observations, instructional supervisions, and formal evaluation visits.
3. Directs, supervises, and evaluates department chairpersons.
4. Directs the new teacher and master teacher programs.
5. Plans and coordinates faculty in-service and staff development opportunities.
6. Coordinates the assignment of substitutes and teachers to substitute for absent teachers.
Dean of Students
1. The Dean of Students is responsible to the Principal for the general discipline and Christian conduct of the student body, the implementation of disciplinary policies and practices.
2. Determines contracts for academic probations with principal/counselor.
3. Moderates the Student Advisory Board designed to facilitate on-going communication and dialogue over matters of policy and student life.
4. Acts as the school liaison with police departments, courts and other community agencies with regard to disciplinary matters.
5. Provides for the supervision of students
6. Oversees attendance, confers and communicates attendance issues to parents and teachers.
7. Provides for the assignment of student lockers.
8. Provides an emergency plan in the case of disaster. Plans and conducts regular fire drills and the annual earthquake drills.
9. Collects Parent Student Handbook agreements.
10. Deals with teachers’ referrals of disciplinary problems.
11. Consults with the Principal in serious discipline matters, discusses the state of school discipline with him and assists him in formulating school policy.
12. Provides a disciplinary guidance program that will help the students in their growth toward self-direction through both preventative and corrective measures.
13. Maintains standards of dress code as stated in the Parent/Student Handbook as a matter of daily routine.
14. Holds/makes provisions for detention.
15. Administers suspensions in instances stated in the Parent/Student Handbook.
1. Assists the Principal in the recruiting and hiring of faculty to teach in the summer session.
2. Prepares appropriate information and forms for the summer school brochure and registration.
3. Assists school departments in defining curriculum content of summer school classes.
4. Develops the Master Teacher Schedule for summer session and supervises the scheduling of students.
5. Assures that the appropriate textbooks have been ordered for summer session.
6. Coordinates with the counselor(s) the placement of students into appropriate courses for make-up classes.
7. Directs the supervision and evaluation of summer school faculty.
8. Assures that Summer School grades are properly and promptly reported.
Required Minimum Qualifications
• Possess a Bachelor’s degree or higher
• Possess a minimum of three years’ administrative experience; some classroom experience
• Excellent writing and editing skills
• Passion for and understanding of Catholic education
• Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills
• Extreme attention to detail and ability to balance multiple tasks and competing needs
• Master’s degree in Education, Counselling or other related field
• Teaching and/or Administrative credential(s)
• Possess a minimum of three to five years of experience
• A practicing Catholic in good standing with the Church
Applications: Position will remain open until filled.
Application process: Applicants should upload cover letter addressing their philosophies of education, updated resumé, references and transcripts.
Pomona Catholic School offers a rewarding, supportive work environment, competitive salary and benefits, and an opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of the students entrusted to its care. Pay is according to Archdiocese of Los Angeles pay scale based on education and experience. Pomona Catholic is an EOE.
Pomona Catholic School (Pomona)
533 W. Holt Avenue
Pomona, CA email@example.com