St. Mary’s Academy seeks a dynamic and experienced Math & English Language Arts Specialist for the 2022 – 2023 school year. St. Mary’s Academy is a Catholic, private, college preparatory high school for young women, founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, that shapes women of distinction who are committed to lifelong learning and service to the “dear neighbor”. We are looking for an educator who exhibits excellence in the classroom, can articulate the school’s mission, and is interested in working collaboratively with colleagues and students.
Student Instruction and Support
● Work with students as needed in one-on-one, small groups, or class settings to support students’ academic progress, executive functioning skills, study skills, and/or test taking skills within the scope of Math
(Foundational Math, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II) and English Language Arts (Language & Composition, Literature, Writing) content areas.
● Monitor student progress and initiate progress reports when needed.
● Engage and encourage students in the active process of learning; help students develop and maintain accountability for their actions related to learning.
● Utilize school learning management systems such as PowerSchool and Google Classroom to track student progress. Communication, Collaboration, and Consultation
● Provide the Director of Student Support, teachers, administrators, counselors, parents/guardian, and/or outside parties with specific information about a student’s learning and academic progress between sessions.
● Consult with the Director of Student Support, teachers, administrators, and/or counselors periodically to follow up and/or brainstorm on academic strategies for identified students.
● Participate meaningfully in student support meetings and/or academy meetings as needed.
● Keep necessary documentation and engage in ethical and legal practices and decision making.
● Communicate promptly and professionally with students, families, and colleagues.
● Attend all relevant faculty and school events.
● Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications: Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Special Education, Education, Child Development, Psychology, Math, English Language Arts, or related field of study and/or educator preparation/credentialing programs from an accredited college or university.
Preferred qualifications: Graduate degree in Education, Special Education, Educational Therapy, or related field.
● Understanding of learning and development in children and adolescents, including knowledge of educational support and interventions.
● Experience teaching and/or supporting high school students with learning difficulties, ADHD, and other neurodevelopmental differences.
● Experience implementing learning strategies with high school students using a range of approaches.
● Experience in consulting/communicating with teachers, administrators, and parents.
● Knowledge of pedagogy and educational tools, including relevant technology, for Math and English Language Arts instruction.
● Active commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
● A student-centered, global, and innovative approach to teaching.
Submit the following to St. Mary’s Academy, 701 Grace Avenue, Inglewood, CA 90301 or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org:
● Resume outlining qualifications and related background.
● Cover letter with a description of why you want to work at St. Mary’s Academy.
● Three professional references or two letters of reference dated within the past 1 year.
Phone: (310) 674-8470
701 Grace Avenue, Inglewood, CA 90301
St. Mary’s Academy (Inglewood)
701 Grace Ave