Chaminade College Preparatory seeks a dynamic, innovative, and engaging SPANISH TEACHER with great classroom management skills for our high school campus (grades 9-12) in West Hills, California. This is a full-time position.
The successful candidate has experience teaching high school Spanish or equivalent relevant experience. Through these courses, teachers instruct students on how to build comprehension and fluency in the language being learned, and develop students critical, cultural, historical, and literary sensitivities. These are essential contemporary skills that allow students to flourish in a diverse range of academic, professional, and cultural contexts. A successful candidate will know how to design and implement lessons that enable all students to succeed and reach their full potential.
- Teaches five sections of Spanish.
- Under the supervision of the vice principals, teaches standards-based (California state and Archdiocesan) curriculum. In a timely manner, plans lessons; provides feedback and grades on assignments; maintains grades, attendance, and other school records; and communicates with students, their families, and counselors when students need support.
- Collaborates with department members and course counterpart(s) to evaluate, monitor, and update curriculum, assessment, and pacing guides under the guidance of the Department Chair.
- Ensures that instructional strategies respect students’ diverse social identities while still corresponding to Catholic Marianist values and the mission of the school.
- Integrates technology by using BlackBoard Learning Management System (LMS) (can provide training), discipline-based learning technology tools, and other collaborative and productivity tools (*Note: All students use a school-issued Lenovo Thinkpad tablet daily)
- Is knowledgeable about new trends and developments in classical languages and cultures, instructional strategies, and assessment.
- Has a passion for teaching Spanish and the culture of the Spanish-speaking world at the secondary level and is skilled at working with high-school aged students.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in the subject discipline is required. A teaching credential in the subject discipline is preferred.
- Prior teaching experience, especially in a Catholic educational setting, is preferred; however, relevant experience in the field is also strongly considered.
- Is comfortable delivering instruction on campus, via remote learning, and/or in a hybrid model.
- Wants to work in a setting committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion of all school stakeholders.
- Wants to work in a setting committed to balancing teaching/learning, health, and well-being of all stakeholders.
- Participates in and attends campus life events, including supervision, lunch activities, liturgies, assemblies, etc.
Deadline for Submission of Applications
Applications are being accepted immediately. This position is open until filled.
Salary and Benefits
This is a salaried/exempt from overtime position. The salary for this position will be commensurate with experience with a starting salary expected to be fall in the range of $ 59,000 to $ 89,000 per year. Chaminade employees enjoy a competitive employee benefits program including medical, dental and vision coverages, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirement plan contribution, and voluntary supplemental life insurance and long-term care coverages.
Interested applicants may apply online through our employment webpage at: www.chaminade.org/employment.
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume and cover letter.
In addition, candidates invited to interview are encouraged to bring or share a curated portfolio that reflects their knowledge of Spanish)/Spanish instruction, a written sample Spanish lesson they have taught or would teach, and if available, samples of lessons, assignments, student work, assessment criteria. Portfolios may be shared digitally or via hard copy.
Any applicant who needs help or needs an accommodation in order to apply for any position should contact the human resources office at (818) 366-9284.
Chaminade is an independent co-educational Catholic school serving students in grades 6-12 at our two beautiful campuses located in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. One of the best things about Chaminade is our strong sense of family. We work together, play together, and pray together. We are a family, a community committed to the success and well-being of each and every student.
We inspire young people to love, learn, and lead through our Catholic and Marianist traditions of a living faith, academic excellence, and moral responsibility.
Chaminade College Preparatory graduates are prepared, inspired, and equipped to:
- Share God’s love by caring for others and seeking justice and peace.
- Learn, adapt, and grow with the world around them.
- Become servant leaders and positive contributors to society.
The Characteristics of Marianist Education
Chaminade’s mission and culture are deeply rooted in the five Characteristics of Marianist Education which are:
- Educating for Formation in Faith
- Providing an Integral Quality Education
- Educating in Family Spirit
- Educating for Service, Justice, and Peace and the Integrity of Creation
- Educating for Adaptation and Change
Chaminade’s Commitment to Diversity
Chaminade College Preparatory is committed to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion and the value that a rich and diverse community brings to our school. Our employee culture is deeply rooted in our Catholic faith and the five Characteristics of Marianist Education. Our Catholic Marianist tradition is lived on our campuses every day and is evident in our Chaminade Family Spirit where each of our faculty and staff is valued for their unique and varied gifts and talents. Chaminade’s faculty, staff, and administration come from all faiths, ethnicities, races, genders, and socioeconomic backgrounds and we are stronger for it.
For more information about Chaminade, visit our website at: www.chaminade.org
Equal Employment Opportunity
Chaminade College Preparatory is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for employment are considered without regard to race, color, national origin or ancestry, gender, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, or genetic information, or other basis protected by law for employment in a Catholic school. Applicants who need an accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment and hiring process should contact the human resources department in order to discuss reasonable accommodation.
See above for requirements.
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
Chaminade College Preparatory (Chatsworth)
10210 Oakdale Ave
Chatsworth, CA firstname.lastname@example.org