Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy is a Catholic, Dominican, independent, college-preparatory, day and boarding high school whose mission is to educate young women for a life of faith, integrity and truth. We are seeking an experienced Social Studies teacher to teach U.S. History and AP U.S. History. Successful candidates must have a strong background in American history and the ability to introduce students to academic research and writing with a focus on historical analysis. The ideal candidate will be experienced in integrating technology into their teaching, and ready to consider emerging technologies to enhance learning and student engagement. We are looking for a teacher who will convey a love for social studies, participate in the school community outside the classroom, to support the mission of the school, and to collaborate with colleagues in interdisciplinary research-based assignments. As part of an integrated and dynamic faculty, all teachers are involved in co-curricular programs and should share in a commitment to a holistic approach to educating young women.
Flintridge Sacred Heart educators are members of an innovative learning environment where committed teachers develop intentionally designed curriculums. Faculty is engaged in a 1:1 MacBook program, curriculum/ programming redesign and mapping, and teacher-driven professional learning communities. Dedicated to teaching and learning in a supportive and collegial atmosphere, our faculty “shares out” on best practices, technological integration, and instructional strategies via blogs, small group learning sessions, and visits to each other’s classrooms.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion: Diversity is a vital element of Flintridge Sacred Heart’s mission to educate young women for a life of faith, integrity and truth. At Flintridge Sacred Heart, we seek to create and sustain a vibrant, inclusive community and we value and appreciate the uniqueness contained within each person so as to honor the diversity of God’s creation.
Essential Job Functions:
· Commitment to the mission of Flintridge Sacred Heart
· Ability to create an environment in the classroom and in all areas of co-curricular responsibility that nurtures the development of faith, integrity and truth.
· Demonstrate a strong commitment to equitable and inclusive classroom practices
· Design and implement regular formative and summative assessments to measure student learning
· Proficiency in curriculum planning, instruction, and assessment.
· Willingness to serve on a collaborative team as a research advisor to groups of 11th and 12th grade students.
· Demonstrate skill in fostering a learner-centered classroom environment and challenge students to apply knowledge to real-life problems.
· Be a reflective educator who models intellectual curiosity.
· Actively participate in the school’s culture of inquiry and seek out opportunities for professional development to enhance content knowledge and pedagogical skill.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
· Stands 50% or more of the workday
· Sight, hearing and speech are essential for communication
· Lifts up to 10 pounds without assistance
Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Flintridge Sacred Heart is committed to providing a work environment that is free of discrimination. In keeping with this commitment, Flintridge Sacred Heart maintains a strict policy prohibiting unlawful discrimination and retaliation. This policy applies to all employees of Flintridge Sacred Heart, including supervisors and non-supervisory employees. All aspects of employment with Flintridge Sacred Heart will be governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by an individual’s race, ancestry, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, marital status, sex (including sexual harassment), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, disability (physical or mental including HIV/AIDS diagnosis), pregnancy (including breastfeeding and conditions related to breastfeeding), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), age (40 or over), military and veteran status, or exercising the right to any legally provided leave of absence in the application of any policy, practice, rule or regulation. All decisions made with respect to recruiting and hiring, evaluations and promotions for all job classifications will be based solely on individual qualifications as related to the requirements of the position. Likewise, all other personnel matters such as compensation, benefits, transfers, lay-offs, training, educational opportunities and programs will be administered free from any illegal discriminatory practices.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $53,000.00 – $77,000.00 per year
Health savings account
Paid time off
Professional development assistance
8 hour shift
Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location
· Bachelor’s degree History and/or Psychology – other relevant area.
· Master’s degree; 3-5 years high school teaching experience is preferred.
· Experience with academic technology and/or an enthusiastic willingness to be trained to employ new tools.
· Experience with innovative teaching strategies; such as mastery-based learning, project-based learning, modeling, POGIL, inquiry labs and/or case studies.
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy (La Canada)
440 Saint Katherine Dr.
La Canada, CA firstname.lastname@example.org