Bishop Montgomery High School is looking for a qualified Skills Coach/Choreographer for our Short Flags Team. This is a contract position requiring training sessions and choreography rehearsals from July to March. This individual will instruct and work with members to train and prepare them for competition and various school performances while encouraging members to achieve their best individually and as a team while instilling the school’s mission and values.
The Short Flags Team is part of the Bishop Montgomery Spirit Squad that consists of athletic performers who serve as student spirit leaders by promoting team spirit and good sportsmanship within our school. They are required to act in a Christian manner and support good relations during all events and activities.
The Skills Coach/Choreographer is responsible for creating and teaching choreography to the Short Flags Team so that they can perform at school events and athletic games, as well as compete at local competitions. The Skills Coach/Choreographer will instruct, guide, train and enable the members to perform to the best of their abilities while ensuring a positive, professional, and team-spirited learning environment.
The Skills Coach/Choreographer provides guidance and is expected to:
• Assist with auditions for the upcoming season. Evaluate and select team members during team auditions.
• Choreograph a minimum of 4-6 routines, using music and choreography appropriate for an educational/family setting. Two routines of which should be competitive in nature.
• Highlight each members unique qualities while continuing to instruct all members to improve everyone’s technique and abilities.
• Organize, prepare for and lead productive practice sessions in a positive, inspiring environment that promotes self-esteem, teamwork and pride in the BMHS Spirit Squad.
• Prepare team for performances at football games, pep rallies, competitions, and other designated sporting events.
• Make recommendations for necessary apparel items that are needed for competitions and/or performances within budgetary constraints.
• Work with Spirit Squad Coordinator on various aspects of managing the team including, but not limited to, practice times and locations, student eligibility, game performance schedules, and any other matters that affect scheduled performances.
• Work with Spirit Squad Coordinator on any team issues, concerns, communications, or needs required to meet team objectives.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Be proficient and have instructor experience in pep flags/short flags and be current on the newest tricks, trends and styles
• Knowledge of pep flags/short flags twirling skills and techniques, flag tricks, tosses/exchanges
• Be able to instruct and strengthen individual abilities through constructive teaching skills and positive reinforcement
• Knowledge of strengthening and conditioning methods and techniques
• Lead by example and encourage good sportsmanship, self-confidence and self-discipline
• Promote a fun, instructive atmosphere that encourages the members to consistently practice, perform, and represent the BMHS Spirit Squad in a positive and respectful manner
• Dedicated work ethic: proactive, responsible, reliable and attentive to deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with student-athletes and families.
• Ability to actively collaborate with all School programs, teams and constituencies and promote unity within the Spirit Squad
• Strong advocate of the School’s mission and school values of integrity, compassion, inclusion, intellect, excellence and justice
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
Bishop Montgomery High School (Torrance)
5430 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA firstname.lastname@example.org