Working collaboratively with and reporting directly to the Director of Finance and Operations, the Senior Accountant is responsible for the day-to-day transactional accounting for Marymount High School.
This is a key position and the person will be an integral part of the Business Office team as well as work closely with the Admission and Development departments and other constituents. This position is responsible for processing a high volume of transactions coming from multiple areas of the organization. The position requires effective organizational and time-management skills, and a high degree of accuracy, attention to detail, critical thinking, and confidentiality while meeting time-sensitive deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Manages the financial operations of the Business Office including: general ledger, accounts payable, student billing/accounts receivable while complying with all Marymount High School policies, procedures and quality standards as well as safety and environmental regulations.
• Maintains accounting records as required by School policy and required for GAAP and control purposes (documentation, approvals, etc.) by ensuring that all transactions are properly documented, timely and accurately recorded in the general ledger including the recording of:
o Invoice/check request payments,
o Cash deposits/receipts,
o Asset/liability transactions, and
o Income and expense distribution.
• Responsible for full cycle of accounts receivable and tuition payment processing:
o Serves as the School’s liaison with FACTS Tuition Management
o Coordinates the enrollment of all families in the automatic tuition payment plan
o Monitors tuition payment process and reports tuition collection problems and other payment processing issues to the Director of Finance
o Records all tuition payments to student accounts in a timely manner
• Manages the full cycle of AP (weekly check runs, wire payments, and ACH payments) and vendor relationships in collaboration with the Accounting Assistant.
• Assesses internal controls, including risk assessments and reviews of risk areas
• Applies best practices through process improvement and creating workflow efficiencies, e.g., reduce processing time, improve accuracy and reduce paper-based processes.
• Prepares 1099’s annually and quarterly sales tax returns.
• Prepares an accurate report of the School’s cash flow on a regular basis.
• Performs account analysis/reconciliation (balance sheet/income statement account).
• Provides documentation for the annual audit and interfaces with the auditors.
• Prepares and distributes quarterly budget to actual reports to all school departments.
• Provides special project support and performs additional assignments as requested by the Director of Finance.
Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
• Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or related field
• Five years of accounting experience in a not-for-profit or school setting
• Experienced with Blackbaud Financial Edge, Microsoft office and Google Suite
• Effective listening, verbal and written communication skills
• Positive, initiative, task and detail-oriented
• Ability to work both collaboratively and independently
• High level of flexibility, agility and responsiveness in negotiating the needs of the various constituencies of the School
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive information and issues
Marymount High School (Los Angeles)
10643 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA email@example.com