Chaminade College Preparatory seeks a dynamic and engaging SCIENCE TEACHER for our middle school campus (grades 6-8) in Chatsworth, California. This is a full-time position.
The successful candidate has experience and expertise using research-based and developmentally appropriate instructional strategies to teach middle school science, including
Earth and Space Science (grade 6), Life Science (grade 7), and Physical Science (grade 8).
Chaminade science teachers instruct students to develop scientific literacy and reasoning that supports thinking creatively about problem-solving and about observed and gathered data to help students make sense of the natural and human-created world. The successful candidate can facilitate students’ engagement with data, including aiding student comprehension and presentation of experimental and observational data in charts and graphs.
The successful candidate has a solid understanding of discipline specific topics and the interdisciplinary nature of science, which integrates math, technology, engineering, language arts, and social studies to make sense of scientific phenomena. The successful candidate encourages student curiosity and wonder, building students’ self-confidence and reflective skills as they develop scientific knowledge and apply what they learn. Successful candidates incorporate thinking, discussion, and reasoning routines in each class to ensure students make sense of what they learn in pairs, small groups, and independently. Additionally, successful candidates can model curiosity, wonder, and various problem-solving strategies through guided instruction. Overall, the successful candidate develops lessons that deepen students’ understanding of what scientists do and know, and how scientists think. This prepares students for high school science courses as well as practical, real-world application of science concepts that engage students in understanding how science is connected to other content areas and their own lives.
In addition to teaching responsibilities, Chaminade educators are involved in the life of the school, which includes leading a student advisory group; presence and participation during student activities and assemblies; supporting and participating in our campus-wide House system; attending faculty, department, and grade-level meetings; assigned supervision duties during lunch, and/or before and/or after school; and participating in faith activities, including Masses, prayer services, staff retreats, and student retreats. Although not required, preference is given to candidates interested in coaching, moderating an after-school extracurricular activity, and/or moderating a student club.
• Teaches five sections.
• Under the supervision of the vice principals, teaches standards-based (California state and Archdiocesan) curriculum. In a timely manner and in accordance with school and department policies, plans lessons; provides feedback and grades on assignments; maintains grades, attendance, and other school records; and communicates with students, their families, and counselors when students need support.
• Collaborates with department members and course counterpart(s) to evaluate, monitor, and update curriculum, assessment, and pacing guides under the guidance of the Department Chair and the Vice Principal of Curriculum and Instruction.
• Ensures that instructional strategies respect students’ diverse social identities while still corresponding to Catholic Marianist values and the mission of the school.
• Integrates technology by using Schoology Learning Management System (LMS), Google Apps for Education, Microsoft 365, and other digital collaboration and productivity tools licensed by the school (*Note: All students use a school-issued Lenovo Thinkpad tablet daily).
Deadline for Submission of Applications:
Applications are being accepted immediately. This position is open until filled.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a salaried/exempt from overtime position. The salary for this position will be commensurate with experience. Chaminade employees enjoy a competitive employee benefits program including medical, dental and vision coverages, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirement plan contribution, and voluntary supplemental life insurance and long-term care coverages.
Interested applicants may apply online through our employment webpage at: www.chaminade.org/employment.
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume and cover letter.
In addition, candidates invited to interview are encouraged to share a curated portfolio that demonstrates their philosophy of teaching and reflects their knowledge of Science instruction, including samples of lessons, assignments, student work, and assessment criteria.
Portfolios may be shared digitally or via hard copy.
Any applicant who needs help or needs an accommodation in order to apply for any position should contact the human resources office at (818) 366-9284.
Chaminade is an independent co-educational Catholic school serving students in grades 6-12 at our two beautiful campuses located in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. One of the best things about Chaminade is our strong sense of family. We work together, play together, and pray together. We are a family, a community committed to the success and well-being of each and every student.
We inspire young people to love, learn, and lead through our Catholic and Marianist traditions of a living faith, academic excellence, and moral responsibility.
Chaminade College Preparatory graduates are prepared, inspired, and equipped to:
• Share God’s love by caring for others and seeking justice and peace.
• Learn, adapt, and grow with the world around them.
• Become servant leaders and positive contributors to society.
The Characteristics of Marianist Education
Chaminade’s mission and culture are deeply rooted in the five Characteristics of Marianist Education which are:
• Educating for Formation in Faith
• Providing an Integral Quality Education
• Educating in Family Spirit
• Educating for Service, Justice, and Peace and the Integrity of Creation
• Educating for Adaptation and Change
Chaminade’s Commitment to Diversity
Chaminade College Preparatory is committed to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion and the value that a rich and diverse community brings to our school. Our employee culture is deeply rooted in our Catholic faith and the five Characteristics of Marianist Education. Our Catholic Marianist tradition is lived on our campuses every day and is evident in our Chaminade Family Spirit where each of our faculty and staff is valued for their unique and varied gifts and talents. Chaminade’s faculty, staff, and administration come from all faiths, ethnicities, races, genders, and socioeconomic backgrounds and we are stronger for it.
For more information about Chaminade, visit our website at: www.chaminade.org
Equal Employment Opportunity
Chaminade College Preparatory is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for employment are considered without regard to race, color, national origin or ancestry, gender, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, or genetic information, or other basis protected by law for employment in a Catholic school. Applicants who need an accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment and hiring process should contact the human resources department in order to discuss reasonable accommodation.
• Experience teaching science at the secondary level and skilled at working with middle-school aged students.
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required. A teaching credential in any secondary science (geoscience, physics, chemistry, biology, and/or foundational-level) is preferred.
• Prior teaching experience, especially in a Catholic educational setting, is preferred; however, relevant experience in the field is also strongly considered.
• Wants to work in a setting committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion of all school stakeholders.
• Wants to work in a setting committed to balancing learning, health, and well-being of all stakeholders.
Chaminade College Preparatory (Chatsworth)
10210 Oakdale Ave
Chatsworth, CA firstname.lastname@example.org