Bishop Montgomery High School seeks a dynamic and engaging RELIGION TEACHER for the 2022-2023 school year.
The successful candidate has experience and expertise using research-based and developmentally appropriate instructional strategies to support and instruct students to develop analytical and evaluative thinking, reading, and writing skills through the content of a high school Catholic religion curriculum. Therefore, the successful candidate is a practicing Catholic, who has a solid understanding of religion standards that are based upon the following:
1. Catechism of the Catholic Church
2. Archdiocese Los Angeles Living our Faith standards and grade-level content standards, which are informed by the four pillars of the Catechism:
a) Profession of Faith (Church Structure and History; Creed)
b) Celebration of the Christian Mystery (Sacraments; Liturgy)
c) Life in Christ (Morality)
d) Christian Prayer (Prayer)
Bishop Montgomery High School is an inclusive school that welcomes Catholic and non-Catholic students into an environment that respects and values students from diverse ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Therefore, in addition to increasing students’ knowledge of the Catholicism, successful candidates can bear witness to their own faith to engage Catholic and non-Catholic students to reflect and communicate about their own developing faith lives. A successful candidate also knows how to design and implement high-interest lessons that allow Catholic and non-Catholic students to see themselves in the curriculum, voice their own experiences, and learn about perspectives that may differ from their own. Additionally, a successful candidate will bear witness by demonstrating a commitment to serve others.
In addition to teaching responsibilities, Bishop Montgomery High School educators are involved in the life of the school, which includes supporting and participating in our campus life such as being present and participating at student activities and assemblies; attending faculty, department, and grade-level meetings; performing supervision duties during lunch, before and/or after school; and participating in faith activities, including Masses, prayer services, staff retreats, and student retreats.
• Under the supervision of the vice principal and department chair, teaches standards-based (California state literacy and Archdiocesan religion) curriculum. In a timely manner and in accordance with school and department policies, plans lessons; provides feedback and grades on assignments; maintains grades, attendance, and other school records; and communicates with students, their families, and counselors when students need support.
• Collaborates with department members and course counterpart(s) to evaluate, monitor, and update curriculum, assessment, and pacing guides under the guidance of the Department Chair and the Vice Principal of Curriculum and Instruction.
• Ensures that instructional strategies respect students’ diverse social identities while still corresponding to Catholic values and the mission of the school.
• Integrates technology by using Aeries, Google Apps for Education, Microsoft, and other digital productivity tools licensed by the school.
Deadline for Submission of Applications:
Applications are being accepted immediately.
The successful candidate must have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Theology or a related field. Minimum of three years teaching experience preferred; however, candidates with less experience may be considered depending on background. The successful candidate will also possess a positive attitude, excellent written and verbal skills, strong organizational skills, and proven success within a work setting that requires collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. Ability to lead one or more co-curricular activities is desirable.
Please email a copy of the following to Yvette Vigon-Morffi, Vice Principal, at firstname.lastname@example.org:
– Resume and reference contact information
– Unofficial Transcript
– Credential/Religious Education certificate
First year applications without certification will be considered.
Bishop Montgomery High School (Torrance)
5430 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, California email@example.com