STATUS: Full Time (40 hours per week) – 12 Month / Non- Exempt / Benefits Eligible
Under general direction from the pastor and business manager, this position performs diverse administrative / clerical and secretarial duties in support of the Parish Office, the clergy and the faith formation director. This position may supervise routine clerical activities of other part time staff. Typical duties include answering phones, opening, and sorting mail, typing and/or word processing, scheduling appointments, responding to sacramental inquiries, and maintaining files and sacramental records. By nature of this office, the position involves exposure to sensitive information and interaction with visitors which necessitates considerable use of confidentiality, diplomacy, discretion, and a professional image.
In joining our team, you are joining a dynamic group of diverse individuals committed to the Corporal Works of Mercy. For us, what we do is much more than a job or a career. If you feel called to be of service to God’s people, we invite you to explore a career with us. Because all Archdiocesan employees represent the Roman Catholic Church, they are expected to conduct themselves according to the goals and mission of the Church in performing their work.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS ((include, but are not limited to):
• Use of computers to enter data, generate correspondence and reports using standard software.
• Perform routine office duties such as ordering supplies, copying, collating, sorting mail, etc.
• Provide backup support to other clerical employees.
• Maintains office equipment and calls for repair service as needed.
• Updates parishioner information in the parish office database.
• Assists in setting up and confirming appointments between clergy and visitors
• Organizes and maintains office filing system files, including set-up, updates, and organization
• Processes Faith Formation Registration paperwork and maintains lists of faith formation student demographics and fee payments.
• Checks various forms for completeness and accuracy
• Engages in and supports a parish culture that encourages the values of an Amazing Parish
• Creates, maintains, and updates various records, files and publications, (hard copy & electronic).
• Receives and schedules mass intentions
• Handles payment for services / fees (cash or checks) and prepares receipts for the finance team.
• Trains and provides work direction to office support staff as needed
• Receives incoming telephone calls and assist callers with any questions or comments; direct calls to appropriate team members and resolve calls when possible. Greets and receive families and visitors, maintaining a friendly hospitable attitude, and offering assistance and guidance.
• Maintains daily facility calendar schedule and is responsible for facility room key check-out.
• Performs related duties as required and assists in special projects as necessary.
Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
• 4 – 5 years of secretarial / receptionist experience
• College Degree or coursework in business administration, religion or social sciences is a plus.
• Active member of a Roman Catholic faith community required
• Archdiocesan and Church policies, procedures, and organization.
• The mission and organizational structure of the Catholic Church
• Simple record keeping methods and procedures.
• Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and database software.
• Office procedures and business etiquette.
• Bilingual – strong written and verbal communication skills in both English and Spanish languages including correct grammar, spelling, clarity, legibility, and punctuation
• Operate standard office equipment (fax, typewriter, phones) and computers.
• Interfacing with the public, and responding to common inquiries or complaints from members of the parish community, business community and coworkers
• Telephone communications and etiquette
• Interpersonal skills including tact, patience, and diplomacy to handle sensitive calls and situations and refer them appropriately.
• Maintain confidentiality.
• Coordinate and delegate various activities with efficiency.
• Pay great attention to detail and be organized.
• Work independently with minimal supervision and be self-motivated
• Function as part of a team and maintain effective working relationships
• Follow and enforce parish policies
Physical and Environmental Requirements
• Occasionally lift up to 20 pounds.
• Sit for sustained periods of time on a daily basis.
• Perform tasks requiring intermittent bending, stooping, and walking.
• Sustain frequent movement of the fingers, wrists, hands, and arms.
Interested and qualified candidates should email a cover letter with resume to:
Fr. Christopher Fagan, Pastor at St Augustine Church. (email@example.com)
St. Augustine Catholic Parish (Culver City)
3850 Jasmine Avenue
Culver City, CA firstname.lastname@example.org