In the tradition of Catholic Education, Mary Star of the Sea Elementary School promotes the growth of Faith in Christ, Academic Excellence, and Civic Responsibility. Together with parents, faculty, and staff, it is our goal to develop and enhance these values in each student equipping them to be Catholic Leaders of the future.
a. Faith-Filled and Focused: Rooted in a well-formed Catholic identity and grounded in a Catholic worldview, practices critical reflection and makes mission-driven and data informed decisions.
b. Inspirational: Capable of inspiring, recruiting, and growing a faculty of educational excellence playing from the same play book.
c. Fiscally Responsible: Demonstrates common sense stewardship for short-term financial management and long-term financial planning.
d. Collaborator: Values, engages, and connects parents, faculty, the parish and local community, and other partners in supporting programs and opportunities to maintain and grow the school’s presence and impact.
1. Establish with the pastor a community of faith that prioritizes a personal relationship with Christ in order to fulfill the Evangelizing Mission of the Church.
2. Lead faculty, parents, and other partners to satisfy a well-articulated vision and mission for academic excellence and holistic student achievement for every student.
3. Direct clearly articulated, rigorous curriculum aligned with relevant standards, 21st century skills, and Gospel values, implemented and regularly evaluated through effective, data-driven instruction.
4. Engage in regular classroom walkthrough, providing feedback to teachers, and growing individual and collective capacity of the faculty.
5. Ensure the systematic implementation of a balanced and coherent system of school-wide assessment methods, including data management, collection and analysis, and practices to communicate student progress. Utilize assessment results to inform improvement o instructional practices, including interventions, and ensure significant growth of every student.
6. Lead the development and implementation of a shared vision for comprehensive integration of technology into the academic and co-curricular programs of the school.
7. Assure the health, safety and welfare of students; oversee attendance, behavior management, counseling, guidance and other support services; provide individual academic and personal counseling to students and parents.
8. Understand, responsibly manage, and effectively communicate school finances, including budget development, ongoing oversight and projections, and tuition, fundraising, and staffing management.
9. Recruit, select, hire, support, and evaluate faculty and staff in accordance with Archdiocesan guidelines.
10. Operate in accord with published human resource/personnel policies, developed in compliance with archdiocesan policies, which affect all faculty and staff and provide clarity for responsibilities, sets expectations and accountability.
11. Establishes priorities for educational materials to meet the needs of students and teachers with allowable anticipated funds
12. Establish a marketing and enrollment management team to supervise annual and continuous measurement and analysis of both new enrollment and retention patterns for all student groups. Collaborate with the team to ensure that key strategies are in place to brand, market, recruit and retain school families to optimize a healthy student enrollment.
13. Prepare and write correspondence, bulletins and other communications on behalf of the school; arrange for school-level public relations and publicity for special events and achievements as appropriate.
Other desired skills:
• Plan, organize and direct the operations, plant and personnel of an assigned PK-8 school.
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
• Complete work with many interruptions.
• Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Practicing Catholic
• Minimum 5 years teaching experience, at least 2 of those 5 years in Catholic ed (preferred)
• Earned Master’s Degree and/or
• California Credential (teaching and/or administrative)
• Preference given to candidates with Catechist certification
• A proven track record of success in working closely with an administrative team as well as faculty and staff
Cover letter (no greater than 2 pages), answering the following questions:
- Why do you find yourself being called to Catholic school leadership?
- Offer 3 specific skills that you possess that you find qualify you for a Catholic school leadership position.
- Include all work-and service-related experiences, dates and education related to the position
Mary Star of the Sea Elementary (San Pedro)
717 S. Cabrillo
San Pedro, CA firstname.lastname@example.org