Archdiocese of Los Angeles seeks an accomplished and innovative leader to oversee and lead our payroll department to ensure a high standard of payroll operations and service. This position oversees a Payroll Manager and Payroll staff. The ideal candidate will have extensive payroll management experience within larger, multi-site organizations, as well as strong knowledge of Federal, State, and local regulations, compliance requirements and payroll best practices.
Because all Archdiocesan employees represent the Roman Catholic Church, they are expected to conduct themselves according to the goals and mission of the Church in performing their work.
General Management / Operations
• Direct, manage and oversee the day-to-day payroll operations.
• Resolve payroll operations issues and manage through process improvement. Ensure payroll operations are consistent with all up to date best practices.
• Maintain appropriate internal controls and escalate and resolve process, procedural and/or system deficiencies. Contribute to maintaining and updating the payroll processes, procedures, systems and associated workflows, and participate in testing, training and documentation.
• Ensure compliant, timely and accurate bi-weekly and monthly payrolls.
• Hire, train, supervise and mentor staff.
• Ensure staff upholds our Pastoral Values of Service, Communication, Stewardship and Excellence.
• Ensure all areas of payroll remain in compliance with Federal, State, local regulations and company policies and procedures, while improving performance, operational effectiveness and efficiency.
Support / Customer Service
• Serve as the primary contact for payroll operations, payroll accounting, payroll tax filing reporting and escalated payroll issues.
• Monitor, support, respond to, assist and collaborate with internal and external payroll practitioners on all payroll operations.
• Conduct training in English and Spanish for internal and external payroll practitioners on payroll systems, processes and best practices.
• Collaborate with the Human Resources department as required.
Accounting / Reporting
• Responsible for payroll accounting and reconciliations of the biweekly and monthly payrolls to ensure controls are maintained and stable.
• Maintain and balance tax records, provide back up support for filing timely quarterly and annual state and federal tax returns and annual W-2 forms.
• Prepare and provide payroll reports as required.
• Prepare for and assist with the annual financial statement audit and month end close as it relates to payroll expense and corresponding liabilities.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, needed to complete tasks effectively:
• 7-10 years of experience as a Payroll Director.
• 5-8 years of supervisory experience
• Must have experience working with ADP
• Strategic payroll leadership experience.
• Strong payroll accounting experience.
• Extensive time reporting/management experience
Archdiocese of Los Angeles (Los Angeles)
3424 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA email@example.com