Flintridge Sacred Heart is a Catholic, Dominican college-preparatory high school whose mission is to educate young women for a life of faith, integrity and truth. We are currently seeking one or two part-time high school Music instructor(s) who can teach choral and/or instrumental music classes. Applicants should be familiar with a broad range of music styles, genres, and methodologies along with vocal pedagogy, instruments and music technology.
The Visual and Performing Arts department is a vibrant program that aims to challenge, and extend artistic traditions while nurturing the creative habits of young artists at every level. Students are introduced to the various arts disciplines in a student centered, hands on and culturally responsive curriculum which uses lenses such as the role and impact of the arts in culture, social justice themes, and non-traditional repertoire to provide a deeper context to both historical and contemporary works.
The ideal candidate is collaborative, adaptive, creative, and passionate about education in the arts. They must possess strong interpersonal skills in order to create cohesive performance communities that are collaborative and nurturing, while also maintaining high, yet achievable, standards. The candidate should be eager to work collaboratively to create meaningful interdisciplinary experiences and work closely with other members of the department and school community.
• Vocal: Teach an ensemble choral class to a range of ability levels. Scheduling of the choir class may be before, during or after school, depending on the applicant/position offered.
• Instrumental: Teach an after school instrumental ensemble class (Wednesdays 3-5pm) and help students coordinate private music lessons with outside instructors.
• Plan, rehearse, and direct choral and instrumental students in two musical programs per year (Winter and Spring music concert)
• Create a variety of student centered learning experiences using a variety of instructional methods, and assessments that are designed to reach the different learning styles of the students in the classroom and are reflective of best teaching and music practices.
• Planning, revising, and developing course curriculum that reflect the mission and curricular goals of the school and department.
• Fosters a strong sense of community within the ensemble groups.
• Guides each individual musician according to their skill set while challenging them to grow.
• Accompany cast and small ensembles on the piano
• Oversee class budgets
• Gather program materials and work with marketing and communication department to create event programs
• Conduct/coordinate annual instrument and related equipment maintenance
• In addition, there are various school events that involve the music teacher, including: preparing music and ensemble groups to perform at open house, graduation, and other school events both during and after school hours/days.
• Work with and assist the technical director and facilities crew in setup and strike for music performance.
• Attend faculty and department meetings along with other school related events.
There is also the potential that the job could expand to include additional responsibilities (and compensation). Additional responsibilities may include:
• Musical director: collaborate with the theater teacher as the musical director for the spring musical. provide musical direction for the musical theater production, which includes running vocal rehearsal, student coachings, music arrangement, hiring and directing professional orchestra, and piano accompaniment during rehearsals/as needed.
• Liturgical music director: preparing music and ensemble groups to perform at monthly masses/liturgies
We seek educators who are able and eager to collaborate with colleagues and students on interdisciplinary research projects and have experience with instructional technology and innovative teaching strategies. All faculty are involved in co-curricular programs and should share in a commitment to a holistic approach to educating our young women.
We offer a rich and supportive environment, and a chance to make a difference in this important position. To learn more about Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy, visit our website at www.fsha.org. If this sounds like the career move you’ve been looking for, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please put the job title in the subject line.
• BFA/MFA in music performance/composition; Bachelor of Music Education preferred
• Experience with and openness to using instructional technology
• Proficiency as a piano accompanist
• Knowledge of vocal technique and pedagogy
• Strong knowledge and skill with a broad range of music styles, history, theory, musicianship, vocal pedagogy, instruments and music technology
• Knowledge of and practical experience in teaching instrumental technique and leading a chamber ensemble
• Excellent classroom management, communication and organization skills
• An ability to convey a love of music to the students
• Flexibility with work schedule is necessary as day, evening and weekend hours will be periodically required.
Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy (La Canada Flintridge)
440 St. Katherine Drive
La Canada Flintridge, CA firstname.lastname@example.org