Summary: Under the supervision of the Director of College Counseling and Advising, the part-time college counselor helps implement Flintridge Sacred Heart’s process of college counseling as well as communication with colleagues. This job will start in August, 2022.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion: Diversity is a vital element of Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy’s mission to educate young women for a life of faith, integrity and truth. At Flintridge Sacred Heart, we seek to create and sustain a vibrant, inclusive community and we value and appreciate the uniqueness contained within each person so as to honor the diversity of God’s creation.
Essential Job Functions:
• Serves as college counselor for a caseload of 12th grade students helping them choose a challenging but balanced course load.
• Meets and emails with students and parents individually and in groups to discuss college counseling plans.
• Oversees academic progress of students in caseload.
• Maintain detailed advising notes and records.
• Writes letters of recommendations for college applications and other programs for students in caseload.
• Assists with various college workshops and programing for students.
• Meets with parents in the spring to discuss student progress and advise students on appropriate courses for their needs/abilities/goals.
• Advocates for students and promotes awareness of Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy with college admission officers.
• Reviews students’ college applications and essays.
• Meets with college representatives to learn about schools and programs.
• Attend professional development workshops and conferences to stay apprised of best practices for student advising, counseling and college admissions.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred, PPS credential preferred
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• 3-5 years of front office experience, preferably in a school setting
• 3-5 years’ college counseling experience in a high school, independent school experience a plus
• Knowledge of colleges and admissions processes at state, private, and nationally recognized universities.
• Proficiency in technology as related to all areas of the college counseling process: especially Naviance, MS Office, and Google Suite.
• Strong communication and organization skills. Attention to detail and excellent follow-through are a must.
• Need for orientation to detail and confidentiality.
• Ability to develop positive relationships with both students and parents; ability to work collaboratively with teachers, administrators, and university representatives.
• Strong writing abilities.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
• Requires a majority of time (up to 70%) to be spent sitting.
• Some walking and standing required and the ability to lift, carry and/or pull at least 10 pounds.
• Simultaneous/repetitive use of both hands is required for writing and data entry.
• Sight, hearing and speech required to communicate effectively
To find out more, visit us at www.fsha.org. Flintridge Sacred Heart offers a rich and supportive environment, competitive salary and benefits, and a chance to make a difference in this important position. If this sounds like the career move you’ve been looking for, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the job title in the subject line. Please send your cover letter and resume in PDF format by saving each document with your first name and last name.
Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy (La Cañada Flintridge)
440, ST. KATHERINE DRIVE
La Cañada Flintridge, CA email@example.com