The following tasks are considered essential functions of the position:
- Serves as a receptionist, answering phones and greeting visitors using discretion, empathy, patience and tact, and redirecting calls when necessary.
- Assists and supports staff and parishioners in a caring, friendly and professional manner that optimize relationships.
- Schedules and plan meetings and appointments.
- Records and distributes Staff meeting minutes.
- Safeguards confidential information and the parish environment through the policies, procedures and guidelines of the Parish and Archdiocese.
- Acquires and maintain awareness and knowledge of parish operations and general parish activities and effectively communicates the information to staff, volunteers and parishioners (Liturgies, events, meetings, programs, etc.).
- Excellent organizational, planning, follow-up and time management skills.
- Gathers and compiles information from a variety of sources, prepares and disseminates correspondence, memos, forms, schedules, labels and lists as needed; reviews drafts and finished documents to ensure correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Coordinates scheduling of bulletin input and flyer inserts with Ministry and department leaders and related updates to the website.
- Utilizes graphic design and layout of our Bulletin in a manner reflection our mission.
- Prepares and transmits bulletin to vendor for printing on Wednesdays by 10:00 am.
- Monitors and maintains levels of supplies; ensuring adequate office supplies and special orders as required, are stocked and available as needed (postage stamps, paper, envelopes, etc.).
- Inputs and updates parish scheduling data for parish events along with corresponding calendar books (liturgical calendar and Mass intentions).
- Register families for Baptism classes; prepares class supplies, baptism supplies (envelopes, seat reservation signs & lists), schedules Baptisms, prepares and mail certificates, and maintain Baptism records.
- Prepares and send (e.g., email, fax) Permission for Sacrament letters, as requested.
- Maintains records; masters (e.g., fax copies, emails, files, order forms, sacramental permission slips).
- Actively supports philosophy and goals of the Church; adjusts schedule to accommodate parish needs including, but not limited to, adequate staff coverage, support of events related to the liturgical services, assists with ministries and other activities.
- Flexibility in schedule. Requires some weekend, holiday and evening work for events, or the ability to arrange coverage.
Education and Experience:
To perform effectively in this position, the incumbent should have proven work experience as a Secretary or Administrative Assistant and demonstrated knowledge that are the result of high school graduation and secretarial courses. Generally, this would include a minimum of five years of increasingly responsible secretarial experience, preferably within a Church environment.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in MS Office applications including Publisher and One Drive, as well as Adobe Acrobat, along with working knowledge of social media and online meeting resources.
- Typing to meet production requirements (minimum of 45 wpm).
- Excellent English, grammar and syntax skills.
- Effective written and oral communication; composing correspondence and summarizing information independently.
Knowledge of and experience with:
- Archdiocesan policies, and Church teachings.
- Office procedures and business etiquette.
- Organization and project management.
- Diversity; cultural diversity and or a willingness to learn about the diversity in all parish groups and the ability to work collaboratively, harmoniously and respectfully.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Compose correspondence and summarize information independently.
- Sustain frequent movement of the fingers, wrists, hands and arms.
- Sit for sustained periods of time daily.
- Perform tasks requiring intermittent bending, stooping and walking.
- Occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
Saint Kateri Tekakwitha Church (Santa Clarita)
22508 Copper Hill Drive
Santa Clarita, CA firstname.lastname@example.org