St. Gregory the Great Church is looking for a Office Assistant. As a representative of the Roman Catholic Church, there is the expectation of the Office Assistant to conduct one’s self according to the goals and mission of the Church. Under the direction of the Pastor and Business Manager, Office Assistant is responsible for performing a variety of duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assists the Priests & Business Manager in executing parish goals and objectives
• Fosters communication and works collaboratively with all parish employees.
• Assists parishioners both in the office and over the telephone in a professional and courteous manner
• Answering incoming phone calls, receiving visitors at the front desk, providing basic and accurate information in-person and via phone/email
• Responsible for editing and publishing parish bulletin
• Sorting daily mail, and stuffing bulletins as necessary
• Processing payments (e.g., baptisms, weddings, funerals, candles, etc.)
• Providing receipts and following proper accounting procedures
• Post weekly contributions and updates parishioners information in database.
• Performing other clerical receptionist duties such as filing, photocopying, transcribing, translating and faxing
• Multi-tasking and time management with the ability to prioritize tasks
• Maintains security of both persons and information at all times; respects confidentiality and privacy
• Assists with electronic key management, i.e. sign-in log, track down missing keys
• Assists parishioners with Mass Intentions
• Provides information regarding baptisms, marriages, funerals and religious education
• Responsible for distributing and receiving baptism applications, keeping track of necessary documents needed for baptism. Prepares all paperwork and certificates for Priests/Deacons necessary for baptism.
• Manage online baptism class enrollment
• Is responsible for maintaining order and organization in the office work area
• Performs other duties as needed and assists in special projects as required
Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
• 3 years of secretarial / receptionist experience
• College degree or coursework in business administration, is a plus.
• Active member of a Roman Catholic Faith Community
• Archdiocesan and Church policies, procedures, and organization.
• The mission and organizational structure of the Catholic Church is a plus
• Simple record keeping methods and procedures.
• Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Publisher, Excel.
• Office procedures and business etiquette.
• Bilingual – strong written and verbal communication skills in both English and Spanish languages including correct grammar, spelling, clarity, legibility and translation from English to Spanish.
• Operate standard office equipment (computers, fax, typewriter, phones).
• Interfacing with the public, and responding to common inquiries or complaints from members of the parish community, and business community.
• Telephone communications and etiquette
• Interpersonal skills including tact, patience, and diplomacy to handle sensitive calls and situations and refer them appropriately
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
• Occasionally lift up to 20 pounds.
• Sit for sustained periods of time on a daily basis.
• Perform tasks requiring intermittent bending, stooping, and walking.
• Sustain frequent movement of the fingers, wrists, hands, and arms.
•Available to work 24-32 hours per week (Weekdays and Saturdays)
Interested and qualified candidates should email a cover letter with resume to:
Della Yanez, Business Manager at St. Gregory the Great Church.
St. Gregory the Great Church (Whittier)
13935 Telegraph Road
Whittier, CA email@example.com