Damien High School seeks a Music Teacher/Band Director for the 2023-24 school year. Teaching and Director responsibilities will include teaching introductory Instrumental Music courses, Concert Band, Jazz Band, and directing the Spartan Regiment Marching Band.
The ideal candidate for this position would be an experienced instrumentalist and conductor who enjoys working with high school-aged students and their families. Applicants should have strong musicianship, confident leadership skills, the ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues and administrators in a team decision-making environment, excellent oral and written communication skills, and technical proficiency across all brass, woodwind, and percussion instruments in standard Band literature.
Inspired by St. Damien of Moloka’i, a member of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, Damien High School, an all-male Catholic school, develops men of Service, Scholarship, and Faith, prepared to engage in a global society.
Damien High School is a nationally recognized leader in academic excellence and is well-respected for developing the talents and potential of young men. Damien High School is owned and operated by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the Western Catholic Educational Association (WCEA).
- Bachelor’s degree in music or music education.
- Ability to teach technique on all woodwind, brass, and percussion instruments to beginning students.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently run a rehearsal for large ensembles within the class periods allotted
- Organizational skills to plan large events effectively and to schedule and arrange for performances, including logistics to and from marching competitions.
- Budgeting and financial skills to monitor program expenditures, make decisions about purchasing and reconcile invoices
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
Damien High School (La Verne)
2280 Damien Ave
La Verne, CAmcastillo@damien-hs.edu