DIRECTOR/COORDINATOR OF MUSIC
Our Lady of the Valley Catholic Church – Canoga Park, CA
Our Lady of the Valley Parish is a large Catholic church and school located in the Canoga Park section of Los Angeles, California. It is the oldest parish in the western San Fernando Valley, having been established in 1921. Our Lady of the Valley is considered the “Mother Parish” for the Valley. This parish enjoys the diversity of multi-cultural parishioners and continues to actively work toward providing services for all people in the western San Fernando Valley area.
PARISH MINISTRY DIRECTOR/COORDINATOR OF MUSIC
The Parish Director/Coordinator of Music, under the supervision of the Pastor/Administrator is responsible for ensuring quality music for liturgical celebrations that help our diverse cultural parishioners, choirs and musicians enhance their worship through musical participation during the liturgy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Parish Director/Coordinator of Music needs to function in collaboration with the pastor and pastoral team (i.e., pastor, associate pastors, deacons, initiation director/team, and with the parish liturgy committee and coordinator). The following tasks and responsibilities are considered essential functions of the position:
The Parish Director/Coordinator of Music:
• Selects or oversees music repertory for the Sunday and Holy Day liturgies and celebrations during the various liturgical seasons of the year.
• Develops, coordinates and oversees the formation and training of all persons involved in musical ministries for every mass: choirs, cantors, ensembles, organists, pianists and other instrumentalists.
• Selects music and conducts rehearsals for all liturgies/celebrations with English choirs and/or cantors.
• Oversees the scheduling of all music ministers and their selected music associated with worship for each of our music ministries (English, Spanish and Filipino).
• Maintains current records (e.g., timecard/payment records, etc.) for all music ministers.
• Collaborates with all music ministers and cantors for combined multi-cultural Holy Day liturgy celebrations.
• Collaborates with the Pastor and other appropriate persons in the hiring of music personnel.
• Is responsible for the ordering and maintenance (filing) of all music materials (library).
• Is responsible for communicating music and schedules to all cantors, musicians and choir members for rehearsals and each liturgical event/celebration.
• Is responsible for initiating and coordinating the repair and maintenance of the organ, piano and other parish musical instruments including microphones, mic stands, cables, sound system board and other related equipment.
• Attends meetings including parish staff and liturgy ministry meetings.
The specific musical expertise of the Director/Coordinator of Music may vary. His/Her principal musical skill might be as a choir director, conductor, cantor, guitarist, pianist or other related musical field. In any case, the candidate should possess or be pursuing a degree in Music or equivalent skill and experience. Excellent sight-reading, improvisation skills, and experience in accompanying and working with vocalist and musicians in Catholic liturgy. Most preferable would be a pianist/organist who can sing and conduct while playing.
The Parish Director/Coordinator of Music should possess fundamental expertise in the Catholic liturgy and in liturgy preparation and possess demonstrable skill and knowledge of Roman Catholic liturgical practice as well as a willingness for continuing education in liturgy.
The Parish Director/Coordinator of Music should have experience in pastoral/parish ministry. This includes skills in relating to and managing groups of people, organizational and leadership ability, a life of faith proportionate to a parish minister, preferably within the Roman Catholic Church, and a willingness to engage in continuing education in the pastoral areas.
Our Lady of the Valley (Canoga Park,)
22021 Gault St
Canoga Park,, Ca 91303Revavelasco@la-archdiocese.org