St. Hedwig church envisions a return to Sacred Music particularly of polyphony in each mass and or service. Implementation of Gregorian Chant in both the Adult and Children’s choir are to be started, maintained, and improved upon over the years. St. Hedwig envisions that choral music be predominantly accompanied with the organ in all of its services and masses.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Paid and volunteer Cantors, Instrumentalists, Choir members
PRIMARY PURPOSE: To develop a prayerful, singing assembly through celebration, preparation, and evaluation and through education and personal ministry; with the cooperation and assistance of all the parish ministers, the Director of Music Ministries will support the Gospel message through song and challenge the assembly to live it more fully.
REPORTS TO: Pastor The Director of Parish Life and Parochial Vicar as needed, as well as the Business Manger for HR, AV facility-related, and budget items.
SALARY: Based on education, time, and experience.
For a complete list of Essential Functions, Schedule, Work Environment click here.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music or a related field desired with a strong knowledge of Catholic worship and liturgy.
- Minimum of three years of experience in leading/directing choral or music groups, and able to demonstrate proficiency in the reading and interpretation of vocal and instrumental scores to include Gregorian Chant, traditional hymns, and appropriate contemporary sacred music.
- Able to lead and manage a 40 person choir.
- Strong proficiency and experience in playing both the organ and piano at a professional level and proficient in conducting and singing.
- Practicing Catholic deeply rooted in faith.
- Exemplary communication/people skills, working well with adults, teens, and children.
- Skilled level of musicianship.
- Basic computer skills, knowledge of music software.
- Basic knowledge of AV systems.
- Participates in ongoing continuing education in areas of music and liturgy.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, volunteers, and liturgy committee.
- Must be competent in using Microsoft office 365, and related platforms.
- B.A. in Organ or Sacred Music
- Able to lead adult and children choirs in Gregorian chant and sacred polyphony at weekly sung and solemn Masses in the Ordinary and Extraordinary Form of the Mass.
- Able to lead adult and children choirs in sacred polyphony in English.
- Certification in Pastoral Liturgy or Pastoral Music.
- Basic understanding of notation software.
- Basic understanding of digital audio software.
Saint Hedwig (Diocese of Orange) (Los Alamitos )
11482 Los Alamitos Blvd
Los Alamitos , CA email@example.com