Verbum Dei is a Catholic, Jesuit, college and career preparatory high school, complemented by our corporate internship program, serving young men of Los Angeles and the surrounding communities. We develop self-confident gentlemen who are intellectually motivated, spiritual, contemplative, and courageous in their pursuit of a more humane and just world.
1. Jesuit education that is rooted in the Gospel and inspired by the example of Jesus to promote the full, integral development of students—physical, moral, intellectual, spiritual– so that they embrace challenges, are intellectually motivated, religious, loving, and committed to justice.
2. Cooperation as the hallmark of a community where each person receives the attention, encouragement and support to succeed academically, personally and professionally; and where the common good takes precedence over the interests of any individual or group.
3. Excellence of effort from students, faculty and staff in the classroom, on the job and in co-curricular activities.
4. Generosity of spirit and self-sacrifice that reflects Jesus’ teaching that “…anything you did for one of my brothers or sisters, however humble, you did for me.”
5. Inclusive community of students, parents, faculty, staff, board, donors, alumni, and corporate sponsors that welcomes diverse persons, perspectives, and experiences and respects the God-given dignity of every human being.
6. Integrity evidenced by truthfulness, decency and consideration for others consistently reflected in work, study, activities, and life decisions.
7. Resilience in the face of adversity and challenges.
Under the supervision of the principal, the specialist supports the implementation of ELA curriculum, assessment, and instruction. The specialist also supports the implementation of Verbum Dei’s multi-tiered system of supports to address the needs of struggling readers. As a member of the Instructional Leadership Team (ILT) and Retention team the learning specialist will support professional development of teaching faculty and other instructional support structures that ensure all students meet or exceed proficiency in the areas of literacy and language arts.
• Supports curriculum design integrating core ELA curriculum and social emotional learning support for struggling readers to meet Verbum Dei’s goals of reading proficiency for all.
• Reviews and analyzes STAR, PSAT, and curriculum assessment data to support effective implementation of ELA instruction programs and strategies.
• Collaborates with Verbum Dei teachers and STEP Coordinator in facilitating the implementation of standards-based literacy strategies to support all students, including English learners, standard English learners, and struggling readers.
• Supports the integration of content literacy across all subject areas.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Candidates must have at least 5 years of successful teaching experience.
• Experience in curriculum, instructional methodology, and effective research-based strategies
• Knowledge of a multi-tiered system of support and intervention to promote proficiency for all students
• A Masters degree or advanced degree in education, reading and literacy, curriculum design, or comparable.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work effectively with diverse racial, ethnic, linguistic, disability, and socioeconomic groups
• Candidates must be knowledgeable, sensitive, and inclusive of all cultures, in particular those served by Verbum Dei and of the local community.
• Candidates must possess a willingness to promote all areas of Jesuit education.
• Experience in designing and delivering professional development.
• Experience supporting multiple at-risk student populations such as standard English learners, foster youth, English learners, etc.
• Knowledge of preschool, K-6th grade California content standards English language arts, English language development, and mathematics
Additional duties include weekly yard duty, proctoring, study hall monitoring, after-school tutoring and substitute teaching. All Verbum Dei teachers need to feel comfortable with, and actively participate in, the spiritual and co-curricular aspects of the school.
Interested candidates should submit a Letter of Intent explaining your interest in Verbum Dei High School. Please include ways in which you would contribute to the mission and what elements of your background and experience make you a good candidate for our community. Please also attach a resume with your submission. Intent letter and resume should be emailed to Maribel Andrade, Principal’s Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Verbum Dei High School (Los Angeles)
11100 S Central Ave
Los Angeles, CA email@example.com