Under the supervision of the General Counsel, the Legal Assistant will provide administrative and legal support to the attorneys in the Legal Department.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Because all Archdiocesan employees represent the Roman Catholic Church, they are expected to conduct themselves according to the goals and mission of the Church in performing their work.
• Organize and maintain file room, including retrieval from and delivery to records archive.
• Maintain department databases (file room, archive, trust and estates, etc.)
• Assist attorneys in responding to discovery and preparing litigation documents.
• Forward summonses and subpoenas to counsel or other entities; coordinate responses.
• Draft and prepare correspondence/letters.
• Compile, analyze, and organize case information and exhibits.
• Assist attorneys with contract matters.
• Respond to email and telephone inquiries
• Assist in maintenance and preparation of corporate minutes and filings.
• Research legal literature/websites and other source material to identify laws, judicial decisions, articles and other information as assigned.
• General office duties such as answering phones, copying, collating.
• Other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, typically:
• Active member of a Roman Catholic faith community.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Prior experience working in a professional legal environment
• Paralegal or similar experience; paralegal training preferred, but not required
• Experience in working with sensitive and confidential matters
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Catholic teachings and institutions
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite computer programs
• Operate standard office equipment
• Organizational, time-management and multi-tasking skills
• Communicate effectively in written and verbal form
• Be flexible, welcome interaction with numerous constituencies and perform well under pressure for multiple parties
• Occasionally lift up to 20 pounds.
• Sit for sustained periods of time on a daily basis.
• Perform tasks requiring intermittent bending, stooping, and walking.
• Sustain frequent movement of the fingers, wrists, hands, and arms.
Legal Counsel (Los Angeles)
3424 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, Ca email@example.com