To perform a variety of routine investigative liaison duties independently, under supervision of the Fingerprinting Manager. Performs other related duties as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Because all Archdiocesan employees represent the Roman Catholic Church, they are expected to conduct themselves according to the goals and mission of the Church in performing their work.
• Communicate with Department of Justice (DOJ) as the Archdiocese contact person for all fingerprinting reports.
• Serve as the Fingerprinting Dept. liaison with the Archdiocese, Cemeteries, Mortuaries, Schools, Parishes, and affiliated organizations.
• Interpret DOJ codes and acronyms.
• Serve as Case Management Database Administrator.
• Receive DOJ notices of arrests on individual fingerprints and communicate with individuals and their pastors to determine if employment or service poses a risk or liability.
• Decide together with Pastor/Principals, Assistant Superintendent and Fingerprinting Manager if individuals found at risk or unable to contact should be put on hold in VPIN database.
• Type and prepare correspondence, memos, reports and other documents utilizing computer equipment.
• Investigate a variety of crimes in support of the enforcement of municipal, state, and federal criminal laws. These crimes may include but are not limited to violent and non-violent crimes as well as sex offenses and missing person’s investigations.
• Follow appropriate analytical methods and information-gathering processes that are relevant to the cases.
• Collect and preserve letters to ensure the custodians of certain documents and electronically stored information preserve potentially relevant information to the case.
• Explain Archdiocese of Los Angeles Fingerprinting Department policies and procedures.
• Keep equipment, such as the Live Scan Machine up to date weekly.
• Assist the Fingerprinting Scheduler and Coordinator in all administrative activities of the department.
• Required to go out to different sites and fingerprint employees, volunteers, teachers, principals of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
• Update and maintain confidential database in VPIN Fingerprint Database.
• Handle high volume of daily phone calls and continually make decisions regarding fingerprinting questions and information requests.
• Troubleshoots basic problems with computers that are used for Live Scan.
• Helps locations with questions regarding VPIN or the fingerprinting procedures.
• Checks various forms for completeness and accuracy.
• Maintains and updates various records and files.
• Travel to different locations is required as necessary.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, typically:
• Active member of a Roman Catholic faith community is preferred.
• Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice or similar degree from an accredited school is preferred.
• One to two years of administrative experience required.
• Must be able to obtain Department of Justice Clearance
• Valid California Driver’s License and Auto insurance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Basic computer skills including knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, and database software as well as Excel.
• The mission and organizational structure of the Catholic Church.
• Strong understanding of the faith and why fingerprinting is necessary.
• Strong writing and editing skills, including the ability to prepare professional emails, memos, and letters
• Excellent communication skills, including active listening, investigative, and interpersonal skills
• Record keeping methods and procedures.
• Handling highly confidential and sensitive information
• Typing at a minimum of 45 wpm.
• Effective verbal and written communication. For positions requiring bilingual skills, the incumbent must also be reasonably fluent in English and Spanish or other language.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to deal with all types of personalities.
• Data Entry.
• Report assembling.
• Short-range organizational planning.
• Telephone communications.
• Attention to detail and accuracy.
• Understand Fingerprint process and operate live scan machine.
• Communicate effectively in written and oral form.
• Maintain complete confidentiality.
• Operate computer to enter data, format, and generate reports using standard software: VPIN.
• Operate and maintain Live Scan equipment.
• Operate standard office equipment including, fax machine and computer.
• Occasionally lift up to 40 pounds.
• Sit for sustained periods of time on a daily basis.
• Perform tasks requiring intermittent bending, stooping and walking.
• Sustain frequent movement of the fingers, wrists, hand and arms.
Fingerprinting (Los Angeles)
3424 Wilshire blvd
Los Angeles, CA email@example.com