Chaminade College Preparatory is seeking a human resources professional to join our human resources team in the role of HUMAN RESOURCES GENERALIST.
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the Human Resources Generalist provides administrative support to Chaminade’s faculty, staff, and administration in the areas of onboarding, employee benefits, workers comp, leaves of absence, and other human resources functions. The HR Generalist acts as a liaison between employees and our external providers. The HR Generalist supports Chaminade’s mission to Love, Learn, and Lead through service to our Chaminade family of employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Establishes good working relationships across all employee groups and contributes to a welcoming and inclusive environment where each person is valued for who they are and their unique contribution to Chaminade.
2. Ensures HR processes are carried out in compliance with Chaminade policies and procedures as well as with federal, state, and local HR laws.
3. Maintains up to date personnel files for all employees and certain HR related files for volunteers and independent contractors. Coordinates off-site storage for archived documents.
4. Maintains orderly HR related electronic files.
5. Coordinates employee benefit programs. Assists employees with enrollment and other employee benefit needs. Reviews, reconciles, and submits employee benefit provider monthly bills for payment.
6. Maintains good working relationships with employee benefit and other human resources providers.
7. Works with online payroll provider to facilitate electronic benefit enrollments and changes as well as for other human resources related needs. Verifies employee benefits are accurately reflected in the payroll system and that employee benefits are being deducted correctly.
8. Coordinates onboarding of new employees. Ensures all new hire documents, background checks, and processes are complete. Coordinates with other departments to ensure email, laptops, keys, parking, and other onboarding processes work seamlessly.
9. Notifies other departments of new hires and terminations as appropriate.
10. Facilitates the clearing of volunteers and independent contractors (fingerprint clearances, TB assessments, etc.).
11. Assists Payroll Administrator with various HR related items needed for payroll. Prepares new hire files for input into the payroll system. Is cross-trained on payroll processing and serves as backup as needed. Double checks new hire entry to ensure accuracy.
12. Prepares and processes employee contracts, contract amendments, and salary letters. Checks documents against annual budget.
13. Coordinates workers comp claims. Processes new claims and monitors existing claims. Assists employees with claims process. Ensures current doctor notes are on file. Monitors work restrictions and notifies supervisors accordingly. Participates in semi-annual file review process.
14. Maintains employee leave of absence files. Ensures doctor notes are up to date and notifies supervisors of any work restrictions. Prepares notices and leave calendars. Assists with coordination of benefits with State Disability and Paid Family Leave programs.
15. Maintains HRIS aspect of payroll system. Tracks dates of employee evaluations, TB assessments, employee trainings, and other HR dates. Notifies employees when documents or training needs to be updated.
16. Prepares various HR reports including annual service recognition lists, employee census, and annual statistical reporting, etc.
17. Works with Webmaster to maintain and update human resources intranet site.
18. Handles general HR related inquiries and help requests such as verifications of employment, help with online application system, help with retirement system website, etc.
19. Ensures required HR posters are up to date.
20. Assists Director of Human Resources with special projects.
21. Performs other duties as assigned.
Deadline for Submission of Applications
Applications are being accepted immediately. This position is open until filled.
Salary and Benefits
This is a non-exempt (hourly) position. The salary for this position will be commensurate with experience. Chaminade employees enjoy a competitive employee benefits program including medical, dental and vision coverages, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirement plan contribution, and voluntary supplemental life insurance and long-term care coverages.
Interested applicants may apply online through our employment webpage at: www.chaminade.org/employment.
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume and cover letter.
Any applicant who needs help or needs an accommodation in order to apply for any position should contact the human resources office at (818) 366-9284.
Chaminade is an independent co-educational Catholic school serving students in grades 6-12 at our two beautiful campuses located in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. One of the best things about Chaminade is our strong sense of family. We work together, play together, and pray together. We are a family, a community committed to the success and well-being of each and every student.
We inspire young people to love, learn, and lead through our Catholic and Marianist traditions of a living faith, academic excellence, and moral responsibility.
Chaminade College Preparatory graduates are prepared, inspired, and equipped to:
• Share God’s love by caring for others and seeking justice and peace.
• Learn, adapt, and grow with the world around them.
• Become servant leaders and positive contributors to society.
The Characteristics of Marianist Education
Chaminade’s mission and culture are deeply rooted in the five Characteristics of Marianist Education which are:
• Educating for Formation in Faith
• Providing an Integral Quality Education
• Educating in Family Spirit
• Educating for Service, Justice, and Peace and the Integrity of Creation
• Educating for Adaptation and Change
Chaminade’s Commitment to Diversity
Chaminade College Preparatory is committed to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion and the value that a rich and diverse community brings to our school. Our employee culture is deeply rooted in our Catholic faith and the five Characteristics of Marianist Education. Our Catholic Marianist tradition is lived on our campuses every day, and is evident in our Chaminade Family Spirit where each of our faculty and staff is valued for their unique and varied gifts and talents. Chaminade’s faculty, staff, and administration come from all faiths, ethnicities, races, genders, and socioeconomic backgrounds and we are stronger for it.
For more information about Chaminade, visit our website at: www.chaminade.org
Equal Employment Opportunity
Chaminade College Preparatory is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for employment are considered without regard to race, color, national origin or ancestry, gender, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, or genetic information, or other basis protected by law for employment in a Catholic school. Applicants who need an accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment and hiring process should contact the human resources department in order to discuss reasonable accommodation.
Qualified candidates should have a combination of education and experience equivalent to:
• Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Three or more years experience in human resources.
• Experience performing duties across most HR functional areas is preferred.
• Experience in a mission based organization and/or school environment is preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Passion for Chaminade’s mission (see About Chaminade)
• Ability to work with a diverse community of people across all employee classifications
• Possesses a customer service mindset and approach to work
• Exceptional interpersonal and problem resolution skills
• Knowledge of HR best practices and federal, state, and local HR related laws
• Exceptional organizational skills
• Intermediate or better computer skills working with Microsoft Office programs
• Ability to manage and analyze data and to extract and prepare accurate reports
• Ability to perform detail work accurately
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Ability to collaborate
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Is responsive
• Ability to maintain confidential information
• Committed to continuous quality improvement and professional development
• Ability to exercise independent judgement in performance of duties while at the same time knowing when to seek guidance from Director.
Chaminade College Preparatory (Chatsworth)
10210 Oakdale Ave
Chatsworth, CA email@example.com