Verbum Dei Jesuit High School is seeking a Human Resources (HR) Coordinator. The HR Coordinator aids with and facilitates human resource processes at the school. This role provides administrative support to the President and Finance Department, including record-keeping, file maintenance, payroll processing, and HRIS entry. This role administers employee health and welfare plans. The HR Coordinator makes that certain plans are administered in accordance with federal and state regulations and that plan provisions are followed. Additionally, this position assists with recruiting, hiring, onboarding and offboarding, managing training, workers compensation claims, resolving HR-related issues and ensures positive employee relations, including support of employee recognition and engagement activities. This is a full-time position.
1. HR Administration
Process HR-related paperwork, such as employment agreements, personnel and medical files, performance evaluations, and disciplinary actions; prepare new employee files.
Maintains the organization’s HRIS, including entering new or updated information into the system to ensure employee data is current.
Completes I-9 forms; verifies employees’ I-9 documentation.
Manage workers’ compensation claims and leaves of absence.
Assist in developing and updating HR policies, procedures, and employee handbooks.
Stay informed about employment laws and regulations, ensuring the school’s HR policies are in compliance with local, state, and federal laws.
Assist in conducting HR audits to ensure adherence to legal requirements.
3. Onboarding and Orientation
Plan and execute onboarding and offboarding processes for employees, including campus tours, pre-hire requirements (e.g., DOJ LiveScan fingerprinting, TB Assessment, etc.), new hire orientation.
Conduct new employee orientations, including coordination of Sexual Harassment Prevention training and Child Abuse Prevention training.
Coordinate with various departments to ensure new hires have the necessary resources and access to perform their roles effectively.
4. Benefits and Compensation
Coordinate payroll to ensure accurate and timely processing of employee compensation, benefits, and deductions.
Assist employees during open enrollment periods.
5. Recruitment and Selection
Develop and maintain job descriptions, post vacancies, and manage job advertisements on relevant platforms.
Coordinate and schedule interviews with hiring managers and school leadership.
Conduct reference checks and ensure all necessary pre-employment requirements are met.
Prepare and extend employment offers to successful candidates.
6. Employee Relations
Provide support and guidance to employees with basic questions or requests; helps to resolve HR issues that arise.
Act as a point of contact for employees’ questions, concerns, and grievances, and escalate issues as necessary.
Support employee recognition and engagement activities, such as tracking employee milestones (e.g., birthdays, anniversary dates), preparing employee recognition notes/cards, and assisting with organizing team-building events.
7. Performance Management
Assist in implementing performance management processes, including goal setting, performance evaluations, and performance improvement plans.
Provide guidance and training to managers and employees on performance-related matters.
Makes photocopies; mails, scans, and emails documents; and performs other clerical functions.
Assists or prepares correspondence as requested.
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field is preferred.
- Two years of proven experience as an HR Coordinator or relevant HR role.
- One year of experience working with HR software and databases required; previous experience with Paychex preferred.
- Knowledge of employment laws, regulations, and best practices.
- Strong analytical skills and a proven track record of using professional judgment in decision making.
- Ability to work independently; strong organizational and time-management abilities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion.
- High level of integrity and professionalism.
- Passion for education and commitment to fostering a positive learning environment.
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
Verbum Dei Jesuit High School (Los Angeles)
11100 S Central Ave
Los Angeles, CA firstname.lastname@example.org