St. Bernard High School (SBHS), a co-educational Catholic High School owned and operated by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, is now accepting applications for the position of President beginning in the 2024-2025 school year.
SBHS is a Catholic Community of Faith that develops intellectually prepared men and women who are committed to promoting a just and peaceful world as conscientious and morally courageous leaders in service to others. In a global society where values and a sense of community are being challenged daily, it has never been more imperative to educate our youth to be the future leaders, inventors, thinkers, professionals, creators, and philanthropists of the 21st century. St. Bernard High School is moving to the forefront of education as it takes its place as a rigorous, innovative, multicultural Catholic institution of learning striving to be the school of choice for students in the Los Angeles area by providing a comprehensive educational experience immersed in the Roman Catholic tradition and excelling in both academic and co-curricular programs.
Students graduating from St. Bernard High School will be equipped with the knowledge, skills, and moral guidance necessary for success in higher education and to lead their lives as Faith-filled and responsible citizens.
The Exciting Next Chapter for St. Bernard High School
Over the next several years, St. Bernard High School is embarking on an audacious and exciting re-imagining of what it means to be an effective high school given the dynamic higher education and economic factors that young people face today.
This re-imaging is informed by a recently completed strategic plan that calls for a best-in-sector approach to instruction, curriculum, co – curricular programs, and a rich, robust student life that promises to position St. Bernard High School as one of the pre-eminent schools of choice in the Los Angeles area over the next few years.
The next principal is responsible for working closely with the President and leadership team to ensure success in addressing the strategic priorities contained within.
Reporting to the President, the Principal is the chief educational leader of the school. The Principal is responsible for exercising independent judgment in the implementation of a broad array of programs and functions. These responsibilities encompass the areas of spiritual development, realization of the school’s philosophy, curriculum, co-curricular activities, fiscal policies, discipline, personnel practices, and school plant operations. Additionally, the Principal collaborates with the President to assist with marketing and community relations. The start date for the Principal is July 1, 2024.
Essential Leadership Attributes
• Faith-filled and Focused: Rooted in a well-formed Catholic identity and grounded in a Catholic worldview, practices critical reflection and makes mission-driven and data-informed decisions.
• Hopeful and Entrepreneurial: Imagines, articulates, and executes an innovative vision.
• Inspirational: Capable of inspiring, recruiting, and growing a faculty of educational excellence playing from the same play book
• Growth Mindset: Assesses and adjusts, creates, and advances a vibrant and collaborative culture of excellence, prioritizing action items to achieve the mission.
• Academic Excellence: Leads the school community in delivering the highest quality curriculum and instruction yielding academic successes and holistic achievements for all students.
• Equity-Minded: Strives for equity of educational opportunity and culturally inclusive practices.
• Fiscally Responsible: Demonstrates common sense stewardship and fiscal management.
• Collaborative: Values, engages, and connects parents, the parish and local community, and other partners in supporting programs and opportunities to maintain and grow the school’s presence and impact
• Relatable and Trustworthy: Communicates appropriately and effectively with all stakeholders.
• Knowledgeable and practicing Catholic with a thorough understanding of Catholic school philosophy
• Completed or is willing to complete basic catechist training
• Commitment to modeling the values of Catholic educational leadership
• Master’s degree in educational administration, Secondary Education, related field
• Three years of successful school leadership experience
• California Teaching Credential (Single Subject)
• California Administrative Services Credential
Salary and Benefits
The Principal’s annual salary will be commensurate with educational qualifications and prior experience. The salary range based on the Archdiocese of Los Angeles pay scale is between $87,029 and $140,146. The Archdiocese of Los Angeles offers health benefits including medical, dental, and vision and all employees are enrolled in pension benefits from the time of employment and considered vested after five years of full-time employment.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2024
Position Starting Date: July 1, 2024
Qualified candidates should submit the following:
1. Compelling letter of interest indicating how your skills, knowledge, and experience match the philosophy and values of Catholic education and St. Bernard High School
2. Complete resume
3. A list of professional references with telephone numbers; written reference letters may also be provided
4. Completed Archdiocese of Los Angeles Employment Application
Please submit the requested information to:
SBHS Principal Search Committee
Subject: SBHS Principal Position
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
St Bernard High School (Playa del Rey)
9100 Falmouth Ave
Playa del Rey, Ca 90293SBHSprincipalsearch@stbernardhs.org