Junipero Serra High School is a Los Angeles archdiocesan co-educational high school seeking a music teacher for the 2020 – 2021 academic school year. The ideal candidate is a dynamic, passionate, and well-versed music educator with experience in diverse classrooms. Responsibilities include teaching music appreciation, instrumental music, choir, jazz band and the Serra Cavaliers Marching Band. Candidates should be team players and able to collaborate easily with colleagues. Strong organizational and class management skills needed as well as the ability to communicate regularly and effectively with all stakeholders including parents, other colleagues, and students. The successful candidate must demonstrate up-to-date knowledge of content area and be able to engage students using a wide variety of teaching strategies, updating online Gradebook weekly, developing 21st century skills, and educating the whole child, mind and spirit. Candidate must be highly skilled at planning, organizing, and developing curriculum to reach the needs of all learners.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provides individual and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
• Establishes and maintains the cooperation of the school administration standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment.
• Maintains professional competence through participation in service education activities provided by the school and/or self-selected professional growth activities.
• Identifies student needs, and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude and learning problems.
• Regularly communicates with parents and school counselors on the individual student’s progress.
• Supervises students in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day.
• Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs within the school, and with specified educational partners.
• Using a wide- array of formative and summative assessments.
• Weekly Gradebook Update.
• Meeting the deadlines and submit all materials not limited to course syllabus, unit plans, finals assessments, and final grades
• Shares in the sponsorship of student activities and participates in faculty committees.
• Performs other significant duties as may be reasonably assigned.
• Education: Bachelor’s degree (required) in music, music education, or similar course of study (Master’s degree preferred).
• Experience: At least two years of experience as a teacher in a comprehensive Catholic high school setting, Knowledge of and advocacy for the mission of Catholic Education. Previous experience as a band director or assistant band director is a plus
• Master Degree in Music,
• Credential: General Secondary or Single Subject,
• Bilingual speaking, reading, and writing abilities (Spanish).
Junipero Serra High School
Junipero Serra is committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff. If interested in this job opening, please submit (1) a resume, (2) a statement of interest and philosophy of education (no more than two pages). All materials should be sent electronically.
Junipero Serra High School (Gardena)
14830 S. Van Ness Ave
Gardena, California firstname.lastname@example.org