Immaculate Heart High School, an independent, Catholic, college preparatory school for girls, located in the Hollywood/Los Feliz area of Los Angeles, California, seeks an experienced Athletic Director. Applicants should be familiar with and supportive of the educational and spiritual philosophy and mission of a Catholic high school.
The following are the areas of responsibility for the Athletic Director:
The Athletic Director oversees all aspects of the Immaculate Heart High School Athletics program, including coaches, facilities, Booster Club Events and the Girls Athletic Association.
The Athletic Director:
1. Reports to the High School Principal.
2. Serves as athletic department chair.
a) Attends department chair meetings.
b) Establishes the annual budget for the high school athletic department and purchases equipment as necessary.
c) Ensures that all students involved with sports teams have submitted the required documents evidencing parental permission and medical clearance before they are allowed to participate in any way including, but not limited to conditioning and team tryouts.
d) Ensures that athletes do not leave campus for sports activities without written permission (including transportation arrangements) from parents.
e) Monitors academic status of athletes as well as behavioral issues as necessary.
f) Coordinates Booster Club Committee meetings and functions.
g) Serves as liaison between Immaculate Heart and CAA League coaches and Athletic Directors.
h) Arranges for summer sports practice and practice contests with non-league schools during the school year.
3. Supervises high school coaches.
a) In collaboration with the High School Principal, interviews and recommends for hires of all athletic personnel and confirms with the Director, Human Resources that coaches meet all requirements for employment (including required clearances and signed contracts) before the first day of work.
b) Trains and monitors coaches to ensure that the school’s philosophy, guidelines, and procedures, as well as CAA and CIF regulations, are being followed carefully.
c) Observes and critiques athletic games and practices.
d) Ensures that all equipment being used for the athletic program is safe for use, protected, and accounted for.
4. Moderates the Girls Athletic Association.
a) Keeps the GAA constitution up-to-date.
b) Follows all guidelines established for major organizations in the school. With the GAA Board, holds pep rallies, sponsors Spirit Week, and promotes attendance at games and activities.
5. Coordinates, with the Middle School Athletic Director, the use of facilities for middle and high school P.E. classes and teams.
6. Coordinates master game/match schedule.
7. Places on the school calendar in a timely manner games, practices, conditioning activities and all other facility use.
8. Requests security coverage for off-hour events at least two weeks prior to events.
9. Publishes individual team rosters (names, addresses, and phone numbers) and schedules as well as directions to away contests; distributes these schedules to coaches, administrators, administrative assistants, and parents of team members.
10. Informs Principal and communications team regarding news events and team standings; supplies pictures of teams for publicity purposes.
11. Assumes responsibility for keeping all coaches’ manuals updated, with health records, emergency cards, emergency procedures, rosters, etc.
12. Prepares letters to inform parents of requirements for participation in sports; requests athletic fees, annual student-athlete physical examination, and emergency information.
13. Organizes transportation for all teams.
14. Requests payment for game officials.
15. Confirms that all P.E. teachers and coaches have necessary first-aid knowledge and materials.
16. Stocks and maintains all first-aid kits for home facilities as well as for IH traveling teams.
17. Organizes and maintains inventory of team uniforms and equipment.
a) Orders P.E. clothes with approval of administration and business office.
b) Is responsible for team check-out and return of uniforms and equipment.
c) Purchases replacement equipment with approval of administration.
18. Monitors all athletic facilities.
a) Locker Room
b) Confirms custodial support.
c) Reports necessary repairs to Facilities Manager.
e) Reports needed services to pool service company and Facilities Manager.
f) Reports needed external repairs to Facilities Manager.
19. Organizes athletic awards presentations and/or banquets for athletes, coaches, and parents.
20. Accepts teaching and substitute teaching duties as requested.
21. Performs other duties as assigned by High School Principal.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Master’s degree preferred
• Prior high school athletics experience
Interested candidates should email the following to: email@example.com
• In subject line, indicate position you are applying for.
• Letter of Interest
• Resume reflecting educational and professional background
• Name and contact information for three professional references
• A personal essay describing applicant’s athletic philosophy, especially as it would benefit young girls
• Copy of college transcript (at time of interview)
Immaculate Heart High School (Los Angeles)
5515 Franklin Avenue
Los Angeles, CA firstname.lastname@example.org