Mary & Joseph Retreat Center Seeks: Food Services Manager
Mary & Joseph Retreat Center is a sacred and beautiful place where people of faith have found spiritual renewal, unity, healing, and peace. Annually, we welcome and serve the spiritual needs of more than 12,000 people on their faith journey – by sponsoring spiritual retreats or events, and providing hospitality to independent organizations holding their own religious, educational, personal development, or staff retreats.
The Food Services Manager is responsible for the efficient day-to-day operation of the Mary & Joseph Retreat Center kitchen and dining room, working directly and through supervision of applicable staff, to provide quality meals, snacks, and a positive dining experience to retreat guests. The Food Services Manager has a dedicated interest in food, is creative, demonstrates hospitality to others, and does what it takes to get the job done well.
This is a full-time salaried position.
• Oversee the planning of menus for all retreats, taking into account specific interests, requests or dietary restrictions of groups or guests; communicate regularly with Conference Director to identify specific group or guest needs and timing on the conference calendar.
• Maintain food and cooking/dining supply inventories, as well as a consistent vendor ordering and/or in-store purchasing process, to ensure needed quantities are available for efficient operation of food preparation and guest dining.
• As a member of the Retreat Set-Up and Facilities Team: participate in weekly meetings with other key staff to coordinate details and timing of meal and snack catering arrangements or instructions for the weeks ahead; maintain and summarize applicable notes as needed.
• Plan the daily, weekly, and monthly staff schedule of cooks and kitchen helpers, based on the coordinated retreat calendar and catering arrangements.
• Supervise kitchen staff, providing needed training and review to ensure efficient and effective completion of assigned tasks.
• Observe and inspect kitchen facility and equipment regularly to ensure that all are clean and maintained, in presentable and safe operating condition.
• Maintain and update, as needed the appropriate documentation of kitchen procedures and health/safety standards; train, observe, and advise staff as needed to ensure compliance with procedures and standards.
• Maintain documentation of expenses incurred for food, supplies, and cleaning/repairs as appropriate; maintain sufficient cost-reference information to enable budgeting and rate-setting processes.
General Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
• Academic degree or certificate in culinary arts, hospitality or other related field.
• Three years of demonstrated supervisory or management experience in food service field.
• Working knowledge of and appreciation for traditional, vegetarian, vegan, and international food options.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, including ability to listen, present information and follow-up.
• Ability to work independently, as a team member, and serve as a role model to train or lead other team members.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks, solve problems and change priorities as necessary.
• Experience working with computers and software, including on-line calendars, word processing and spreadsheets.
• Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus.
Send letter of interest and resume to:
Paul Craig, Executive Director
Mary & Joseph Retreat Center
5300 Crest Road
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275
Mary & Joseph Retreat Center (Rancho Palos Verdes)
5300 Crest Road
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA firstname.lastname@example.org