Mary & Joseph Retreat Center is a sacred and beautiful place where people of faith have found spiritual renewal, unity, healing, and peace. Annually, we welcome and serve the spiritual needs of more than 12,000 people on their faith journey – by sponsoring spiritual retreats or events, and providing hospitality to independent organizations holding their own religious, educational, personal development, or staff retreats.
A Cook — reporting to the Food Services Manager in the Mary & Joseph Retreat Center kitchen is responsible for accurately and efficiently preparing high-quality and healthy meals or snacks, and providing a positive dining room experience to retreat guests. A Cook has a dedicated interest in food, is creative, demonstrates hospitality to others, and does what it takes to get the job done well.
This is an hourly position – part-time positions (8 to 24 hours per week) are available, and a full-time position (30 to 40 hours per week) may be available.
- Prepare and serve meals or snacks for retreat guests – from food preparation through cooking and cleanup – working independently for small groups or with kitchen helpers for larger groups. Coordinate with Food Services Manager to complete any tasks needed for other daily meals or future meals.
- Assist in planning of menus for retreats, taking into account specific interests, requests or dietary restrictions of groups or guests; communicate with Food Service Managers and/or Hospitality leadership, to address specific group or guest needs and timing on the conference calendar.
- Assist in maintaining food and cooking/dining supply inventories and notifying Manager of vendor orders and/or in-store purchases needed for efficient operation of food preparation and guest dining.
- Support kitchen helpers by providing needed training or supervision, to ensure efficient and effective completion of assigned tasks.
- Observe and inspect kitchen facility and equipment as needed to ensure that all are clean and maintained, in presentable and safe operating condition.
- Be familiar with the appropriate documentation of kitchen procedures and health/safety standards; follow those, and advise staff as needed to ensure compliance with procedures and standards.
General Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Three years of commercial cooking experience.
- Working knowledge of and appreciation for traditional, vegetarian, vegan, and international food options.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to listen, present information and follow-up.
- Ability to work independently, as a team member, and serve as a role model to train or lead other team members.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, solve problems and change priorities as necessary.
- Available to work varied hours on weekdays, weekends, evenings, or holidays as needed.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus.
Send letter of interest and resume to:
Paul Craig, Executive Director
Mary & Joseph Retreat Center
5300 Crest Road
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275
Mary & Joseph Retreat Center (Rancho Palos Verdes)
5300 Crest Road
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA firstname.lastname@example.org