Chaminade College Preparatory seeks a dynamic and engaging ENGLISH TEACHER for our middle school campus (grades 6-8) in Chatsworth, California. This is a full-time position.
The successful candidate has experience and expertise using research-based and developmentally appropriate instructional strategies to teach middle school English. Chaminade English teachers support and instruct students to develop analytical and evaluative thinking, reading, and writing skills. Therefore, the successful candidate has a solid understanding of literacy instruction and can instruct students in reading and critically analyzing a wide variety of contemporary and classical literary fiction and nonfiction texts. Chaminade English courses examine the knowledge, histories, and experiences of diverse groups of people. Therefore, a successful candidate knows how to design and implement high-interest lessons that allow students to see themselves in the curriculum, voice their own stories, and learn about perspectives that differ from their own.
In addition to teaching literary texts, the successful candidate has experience and expertise teaching on-demand and multi-step short and long form informational, creative, and argumentative writing pieces. The successful candidate can teach students to be critical consumers of information by teaching research skills, including how to evaluate the credibility of sources and information, how to examine issues through different perspectives, and how to organize and present their research using digital productivity and presentation tools.
In addition to teaching responsibilities, Chaminade educators are involved in the life of the school, which includes leading a student advisory group; supporting and participating in our campus-wide House system; being present and participating at student activities and assemblies; attending faculty, department, and grade-level meetings; performing supervision duties during lunch, before and/or after school; and participating in faith activities, including Masses, prayer services, staff retreats, and student retreats. Although not required, preference is given to qualified candidates interested in coaching, moderating an after-school extracurricular activity, and/or moderating a student club.
- Teaches five sections.
- Under the supervision of the vice principals, teaches standards-based (California state and Archdiocesan) curriculum. In a timely manner and in accordance with school and department policies, plans lessons; provides feedback and grades on assignments; maintains grades, attendance, and other school records; and communicates with students, their families, and counselors when students need support.
- Collaborates with department members and course counterpart(s) to evaluate, monitor, and update curriculum, assessment, and pacing guides under the guidance of the Department Chair and the Vice Principal of Curriculum and Instruction.
- Ensures that instructional strategies respect students’ diverse social identities while still corresponding to Catholic Marianist values and the mission of the school.
- Integrates technology by using Schoology Learning Management System (LMS), Google Apps for Education, Microsoft 365, and other digital collaboration and productivity tools licensed by the school (*Note: All students use a school-issued Lenovo Thinkpad tablet daily).
Deadline for Submission of Applications
Applications are being accepted immediately. This position is open until filled.
Salary and Benefits
This is a salaried/exempt from overtime position. Chaminade faculty are paid on a salary schedule based on degrees and years of prior teaching experience. The full-time salary at hire is expected to be $ 59,000 – $ 89,000 annually. Part-time positions are prorated accordingly.
Full-time employees enjoy a competitive employee benefits program including medical, dental and vision coverages, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirement plan contribution, and voluntary supplemental life insurance and long-term care coverages.
Interested applicants may apply online through our employment webpage at: www.chaminade.org/employment.
In addition, candidates invited to interview are encouraged to share a curated portfolio that demonstrates their philosophy of teaching and reflects their knowledge of English instruction, including samples of lessons, assignments, student work, and assessment criteria.
Portfolios may be shared digitally or via hard copy.
Chaminade is an independent co-educational Catholic school in the Marianist tradition serving a diverse student body in grades 6-12 across two beautiful campuses in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. We are a mission-centered community with an unwavering commitment to growing one’s faith, serving others, and ensuring the success and well-being of every student and employee. Chaminade sets the standard for Catholic college preparatory excellence with a rigorous, relevant, and innovative academic curriculum and extensive extracurricular offerings.
We inspire young people to love, learn, and lead through our Catholic and Marianist traditions of a living faith, academic excellence, and moral responsibility.
Chaminade College Preparatory graduates are prepared, inspired, and equipped to:
- Share God’s love by caring for others and seeking justice and peace.
- Learn, adapt, and grow with the world around them.
- Become servant leaders and positive contributors to society.
The Characteristics of Marianist Education
Chaminade’s mission and culture are deeply rooted in the five Characteristics of Marianist Education which are:
- Educating for Formation in Faith
- Providing an Integral Quality Education
- Educating in Family Spirit
- Educating for Service, Justice, and Peace and the Integrity of Creation
- Educating for Adaptation and Change
Chaminade’s Commitment to Diversity
Chaminade College Preparatory is committed to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion and the value that a rich and diverse community brings to our school. Our employee culture is deeply rooted in our Catholic faith and the five Characteristics of Marianist Education. Our Catholic Marianist tradition is lived on our campuses every day, and is evident in our Chaminade Family Spirit where each of our faculty and staff is valued for their unique and varied gifts and talents. Chaminade’s faculty, staff, and administration come from all faiths, ethnicities, races, genders, and socioeconomic backgrounds and we are stronger for it.
For more information about Chaminade, visit our website at: www.chaminade.org
Equal Employment Opportunity
Chaminade College Preparatory is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for employment are considered without regard to race, color, national origin or ancestry, gender, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, or genetic information, or other basis protected by law for employment in a Catholic school. Applicants who need an accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment and hiring process should contact the human resources department in order to discuss reasonable accommodation.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree and/or teaching credential in secondary English is preferred.
- Experience teaching English at the secondary level and skilled at working with middle-school aged students.
- Prior teaching experience, especially in a Catholic educational setting, is preferred; however, relevant experience in the field is also strongly considered.
- Wants to work in a setting committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion of all school stakeholders.
- Wants to work in a setting committed to balancing learning, health, and well-being of all stakeholders.
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
Chaminade College Preparatory (Chatsworth)
10210 Oakdale Ave
Chatsworth, CA firstname.lastname@example.org