To support Mortuary and Care Center by apprenticing under current licensed embalmer and perform all activities required to correctly and respectfully embalm a deceased loved one.
Under the general supervision of the Care Center Manager, the Care Center Specialist Apprentice learns to care for deceased in a respectful manner while performing a variety of tasks included below. In addition to the embalming duties, this position may perform various services and client relations activities, while establishing and maintaining effective communication of efforts with mortuary office administrative staff, parish priests and mortuary officials.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Because all Archdiocesan employees represent the Roman Catholic Church, they are expected to conduct themselves according to the goals and mission of the Church in performing their work.
· Be in good standing with the ability to obtain or continue an apprenticeship with the state of California for up to two years.
· Apprentice under licensed embalmer for a term of 2 years.
· Complete and file all necessary forms and reports required to maintain apprenticeship license in good standing with the state of California.
· Verify identification and embalming authorization.
· Perform restorations.
· Complete removals and transfers.
· Dress, style hair and/or apply cosmetics.
· Any other preparation required for human remains.
· Adheres to all applicable professional, municipal, state/provincial and federal licensing authority regulations.
· Promotes a safe work environment being aware of and practicing universal precautions and adopting general principals of safe conduct.
· Assists with the maintenance of preparation room and the facility.
· Cleans soiled equipment and hazardous material spills.
· Ensures hazardous materials and spills are handled in accordance with the Material Data Safety Sheets.
· Assists with chemical and supply inventory.
· Receives caskets and other funeral home supplies.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· At all times comply with company policies, procedures and instructions.
· Contribute to improving the business and enhancing the reputation of the company by putting forward new ideas and by implementing change when requested.
Education, Experience, Licensing
Any combination of education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, typically:
· Active member of a Roman Catholic faith community.
· Must be over 18 years of age
· Must not have committed acts or crimes constituting grounds for denial of license under Section 480.
· Do one of the following:
1. Furnish proof showing completion of a high school course
2. Furnish the bureau with evidence that you have been licensed and have practiced as an embalmer for a minimum of three years with the seven years preceding his or her application in any other state or country and that the license has never been suspected or revoked for unethical conduct.
3. Have graduated from a mortuary science program approved by the bureau and accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education, or its equivalent, as determined by the bureau, and furnished official transcripts from that program or equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
· Communicate effectively in written and oral form.
· Develop and maintain effective working relationships.
· Must be able to read and interpret Mortuary policies, procedures, contracts and customer files such as interment right records.
· Provide excellent customer service skills by responding to common inquiries or complaints from customers, co-workers or members of the business community.
· Effectively present information to patron family members, co-workers and management.
· Ability to follow multiple pending requests through to completion.
· Ability to organize and coordinate projects.
· Ability to concentrate and complete moderately complex forms.
· Work independently with initiative and little supervision.
· Maintain confidentiality.
· Understanding of Christian Burial in the Catholic Church.
· Interpersonal skills including tact, patience and diplomacy.
· Ability to express or exchange information by means of the spoken word.
· Sit for sustained periods of time on a daily basis.
· Perform tasks requiring intermittent bending, stooping, and walking.
· Requires ability to frequently lift or move objects in excess of 50 pounds.
· Sustain frequent movement of the fingers, wrists, hands, and arms.
Mission Hills Mortuary (Los Angeles)
3424 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA firstname.lastname@example.org