SUPERVISED BY: Pastor
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: PT/FT
EXEMPT / NON-EXEMPT (depends on compensation):
Responsible for the total religious education program of the parish for adults, youth and children as designated by the pastor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As representative of the pastor, the DRE implements the parish religious education program in accordance with the parish mission statement and goals. The DRE manages program content, staff and budgets; coordinates with other parish ministries and activities; reports to pastor and parish councils/committees as required. In addition, the DRE shall:
- Articulate a vision of catechesis and the catechetical process based on the major catechetical documents of the Church.
- Review, evaluate, and develop programs, mission statements, long- and short-range goals and objectives.
- Help the parish community evaluate and carry out its role as a catechizing agent.
- Apply appropriate principles of human development, especially faith and moral development, to a catechetical program.
- Utilize appropriate methodologies of adult-centered and/or child-centered learning.
- Implement or support a program of catechist formation according to Archdiocesan certification norms.
- Involve the family as an essential agent in the faith formation process, especially in the faith formation of children and adolescents.
- Use media and technology for effective program implementation.
- Incorporate service opportunities, and reflections on these experiences, in catechetical programs for adults, adolescents, and children; especially linking such opportunities to the fostering of peace and justice.
- Provide opportunities for participation in prayer, personal spiritual development, and communal worship.
- Initiate and maintain accurate records on students, families, catechists, and other participants.
Specific to St. Anthony of Padua Parish, Gardena:
- Serve as a key leader on parish leadership team.
- Oversee and/or serve as lead teacher/team leader of RCIA / RCIC program and other adult sacramental preparation programs for adults. (Sunday mornings)
- Oversee children dismissal catechesis at two Sunday Masses.
- Oversee and serve as lead teacher/team leader of two-year high school Confirmation program. (Sunday afternoon/evening)
- Oversee all other sacramental preparation programs for children. (Thursday evenings/Saturday mornings)
- Oversee and/or serve as lead teacher/team leader of Baptism preparation program for parents and sponsors. (Monday and/or Wednesday evenings)
- Coordinate liturgical ministries and formation with lead EM, lector, usher, altar server.
- Provide summer adult education program. (Designated Mondays)
- Recruit catechists, liturgical ministers, and other volunteers.
- Work with religion coordinator of St. Anthony of Padua Elementary School regarding program for parent formation.
- Near end of first year, assess the potential of developing a youth ministry and young adult program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Practicing Roman Catholic with a commitment to his/her own faith life
- Well-developed knowledge of Scripture, the Catechism, Church documents,
- Familiar with Church history, the stories of the saints and martyrs, Mariology
- Experienced in teaching the faith to adults, youth, and children
- Able to communicate with all age groups, from varying cultural and social backgrounds
- Skilled organizer and overseer of catechetical programs that incorporate volunteer contributions
- Sensitive to controversial issues and able to respond according to Church teaching as articulated by the Archbishop
- Familiar with the uses of media and technology for effective program implementation
An undergraduate or graduate degree in theology or religious education.
- Archdiocesan certification through the Advanced Catechetical Ministries Program (ACM) or Master Catechist Program and/or
- A university certificate program in catechetical leadership and/or
- Two to three years recent catechetical experience and/or
- A record of attendance at diocesan workshops and seminars for ongoing education.
- These minimum requirements may be waived by pastor for comparable experiences.
- Executive responsibility as employee or volunteer.
- Experience in working with adult volunteers.
- A record of attendance at workshops and seminars in management and administrative skills.
Email your resume to José Luis Castañeda email@example.com
St. Anthony of Padua Parish (Gardena)
1050 W 163rd St.
Gardena, CA firstname.lastname@example.org