Primary Objective: With the pastor, maintain and grow a comprehensive and long-range vision for parish liturgical life based on Church documents and directives to promote full, conscious, and active participation of all the people. The ideal candidate will demonstrate advanced skills in most or all of the following areas:
• Liturgical Documents and Texts
• Liturgical History
• Liturgical Year
• Cultural Sensitivity
• Musical Dimensions of Worship
• Liturgical Formation
Context: This full-time exempt position works closely with the pastor and ministry directors, which form a shared leadership team and general responsibilities.
• Supervises support staff, volunteers, and independent contractors involved in worship.
• Sustains a small advisory body of parishioners to consistently review, assess, and envision parish liturgical life.
• Manages the scheduling, logistics, supplies, equipment, and finances needed for worship activities.
• Preserves and enriches the unique charism, spirit, and quality of worship at St. Monica.
• Reports to the Pastor in matters of liturgy and the Director of Administration in matters of employment.
• Maintains a consistent on-site presence especially during Catholic holidays, special events, and most Sundays throughout the year.
• Advanced Degree in Liturgical Theology, Sacramental Theology, or equivalent, relevant field.
• Minimum of three years full or part time experience in parish liturgy.
• Applied knowledge in the areas of Roman Catholic liturgy, music, theology, and liturgical texts.
• Highly developed organizational and leadership skills including:
1. Well-developed ability to fluctuate effectively between multiple platforms of engagement including liturgical, ministerial, pastoral, executive,
2. Experience in working with a broad range of constituencies, including laity, clergy, dignitaries, vendors, faculty, staff, administration, and donors.
3. Exemplary communication skills, both written and oral.
4. Strong commitment to collaboration, personnel growth, development, and creative solutions.
5. Demonstrated ability to successfully and efficiently delegate responsibility and authority.
• Composes and disseminates scripts in a timely manner to all relevant liturgical ministers.
• Maintains a liturgical calendar and roster for all liturgical ministries to support the Mass schedule.
• Prepares liturgies throughout the year and leads a consistent schedule of preparatory and coordination meetings.
• Develops and sustains a creative vision and implementation plan for each three-year cycle.
• Provides collaborative oversight to the Director of Music ministry.
• Supervises sacrament coordinators (baptism, matrimony, and funeral rite), and ensures that all sacramental celebrations are fully staffed.
• Supervises volunteers who coordinate the following liturgical components: lectors, Eucharistic Ministers, hospitality ministers, environment, sacristans, altar servers by:
1. Developing a parish program for the effective formation, training, enrichment, supervision, and evaluation of liturgical ministers and a similar program for a parish worship committee.
2. Creating opportunities for liturgical catechesis: catechesis through liturgy, catechesis for liturgy, and the link between liturgy and social justice.
• Collaborates with the following, providing timely deliverables as prescribed:
1. Director of Faith Formation in preparing sacramental liturgies.
2. Director of Pastoral Care & Outreach in coordinating other public prayer and rituals.
3. Religion staff at both schools: High School Campus Ministry and Elementary Religion Coordinator in preparing school, class, and retreat liturgies.
4. Director of Communications in composing weekly updates, announcements, and other relevant worship information to parishioners. Utilize and continue to develop new and digital media and other technology to foster and develop communal spirituality.
• Prepares annually and oversees budget for worship and liturgy ministry.
Manages weekly departmental finances.
• Attends Archdiocesan meetings and events related to worship.
Participates in the planning and execution of these events as approved by Pastor.
• Participates in staff meetings, activities, and other duties as assigned.
• Authorized to make decisions on worship matters when full consultation is not possible or required.
Application: Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Job is open until filled.
Find out more about St. Monica Catholic Community at https://stmonica.net/
St. Monica Catholic Community (Santa Monica)
725 California Avenue
Santa Monica, CA email@example.com