Job Title: Director of Human Resources
Status: Regular, Full-Time
Work Year: 12 months
Summary: Reporting directly to the President, the Director of Human Resources provides consistent and effective administration of all human resources functions including general operations, recruitment and training, compensation and evaluation, benefits administration, compliance, employee relations and other risk management responsibilities.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion: Diversity is a vital element of Flintridge Sacred Heart’s mission to educate young women for a life of faith, integrity and truth. At Flintridge Sacred Heart, we seek to create and sustain a vibrant, inclusive community and we value and appreciate the uniqueness contained within each person so as to honor the diversity of God’s creation.
Supervision: Assists the President in overseeing administrative assistant.
Essential Job Functions:
• Manage day-to-day operations of the human resources functions to ensure compliance with federal and state laws, Archdiocesan requirements, and school policies.
• Develop and communicate policies and procedures that support compliance and all HR related functions.
• Schedule, coordinate and plan HR Committee of the Board meetings with Committee Chair/provide follow up – minutes, action items, etc.
• Be readily available to listen and provide counsel for employee questions and concerns.
• Maintain personnel files for regular employees, coaches, and temps in compliance with applicable legal requirements.
• Maintain appropriate records of benefit plan participation, personnel transactions such as new hires, coaches, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, terminations and employee statistics.
• Prepare and conduct employee onboarding and separation processes.
Performance Management and Employee Relations
• Provide leadership in developing a mission-oriented culture that emphasizes integrity, quality, continuous improvement, and high performance.
• Provide on-going coaching and feedback for supervisors.
• Ensure legal and effective performance write-ups, termination processes.
• Deliver regular performance management and legal compliance training for supervisors.
• Lead strategic plan initiatives around goal attainment, annual performance evaluation processes, year-round performance management systems, and differentiation of performance evaluation processes for leadership, faculty, admin faculty, and staff.
• Assist the Director of Finance and Operations with salary surveys and make recommendations to maintain a competitive compensation package.
• Participate in/lead annual compensation decision process with Director of Finance and Operations.
• Work with the Business Office to prepare employee contracts and compensation letters.
• Work with the Business Office to ensure accurate and timely payroll.
• Review attendance records on a semi-monthly basis.
• Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, including coordination of Sexual Harassment Prevention training for supervisors and Child Abuse prevention training for all employees, including coaches.
• Assist in the administration, interpretation and application of personnel policies and procedures. Recommend improvements and/or changes. Update the Employee Handbook, generally on an annual basis.
• Lead investigation of employee complaints or charges.
• Consult with outside legal counsel on employment law matters, as necessary.
Recruitment and Training
• Create, update, and maintain all job descriptions. Recommend job classifications.
• Work with supervisors to develop and execute recruitment plans.
• Monitors progress towards goals of establishing a diverse faculty and staff; reviews diversity recruitment strategies.
• Implement searches for all positions: post ads, screen resumes, conduct phone interviews, schedule in-person interviews, consult with supervisors about leading candidates, check references, perform background checks, issues offer letters, follow up on offers of employment.
• Recruit for temporary staffing needs.
• Conduct new employee (including new coach) orientations. Ensure that new hire paperwork is completed.
• Identify training needs and develop programs to meet the needs of both management and faculty/staff within Professional Development policy guidelines.
• Oversee the employee benefits program and the annual open enrollment. Organize meetings, coordinate and prepare materials. Work closely with brokers and benefit providers.
• Perform benefits administration, including claims resolution, family status change, and communicating benefit information to employees.
• Respond to benefit questions as well as provide assistance and support to employees with special or unusual circumstances.
• Manage the processes for workers compensation claims and leaves of absence.
• Perform retirement plan administrator duties.
Other Job Functions: Other duties as assigned such as safety and security administration and assistance with the disaster recovery plan.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, Organizational Development or related discipline; Master’s a plus.
• SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, PHR or SPHR certification desirable; PHR-CA or SPHR-CA a plus.
• 5-8 years of progressive experience in Human Resources management, sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
• Strong working knowledge of human resources practices, procedures, and applicable state and federal laws.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Strategic Planning – Experience in developing, leading, and executing strategic plans.
• Microsoft Office – Proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Google Workspace – Proficient in productivity and collaboration tools (such as Gmail, Drives, Calendar, etc.).
• Financial Management – Basic working knowledge of budget management practices.
• Technology – Comfortable with technology. Able to apply technology solutions to improve efficiency of HR processes. Proficient with internet searches, online job posting, and use of social media for recruiting. Experience with Paycom a plus.
• Problem Solving & Analysis – Adept at identifying problems, able to conduct appropriate analysis and reach effective solutions commensurate with level of responsibility.
• Office Administration – Strong ability to process paperwork timely, maintain effective filing systems, etc.
• Mission: Must possess a spirit open to the pursuit of faith, integrity and truth.
• Organization: Must possess ability to multitask, attend to detail, organize work effectively, meet deadlines and report status of work in a regular and systematic fashion; strong project management skills are essential.
• Communication: Must possess excellent written and verbal communications skills; ability to develop and present presentations to both small and large groups.
• People Skills: Strong interpersonal and social skills. Must seek to create and maintain positive relationships with employees, parents, alumnae, donors and other school constituencies encountered.
• Initiative: Must possess the ability to proactively initiate, participate and follow through in strategic planning matters and on work assigned. Positive attitude and teamwork perspective is essential.
• Learning Posture: Must maintain a learning posture, embrace change and individual and institutional growth. Expected to participate in professional development training and the annual employee retreat.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
• Requires a majority of time (up to 70%) to be spent sitting.
• Some standing required and the ability to lift, carry and/or pull at least 10 pounds.
• Adverse movements required such as reaching overhead, bending, or crouching.
• Simultaneous/repetitive use of both hands is required for writing and data entry.
• Excellent sensory skills are important (sight, hearing and speech).
Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy (La Canada Flintridge)
440 St. Katherine Drive
La Canada Flintridge, CA email@example.com