As a representative of the Roman Catholic Church, there is the expectation that the Parish Director of Development and Engagement will conduct one’s self according to the goals and mission of the Church and to strive for the pastoral values of the Archbishop of service, stewardship, communication and excellence. The Director of Development and Engagement is responsible for providing administrative and clerical services to the Pastor in order to ensure effective and efficient administrative operations of the Parish. His/her primary role is to provide a hospitable environment to anyone who is in contact with the Parish.
The Director of Development and Engagement is responsible for assisting the Director of Operations and/or Business Manager in managing matters pertaining to the Pastor’s Office, including but not limited to overseeing programs of development and parish engagement. The Director of Development and Engagement would be required to communicate frequently with other clergy, Department Directors, School Principal, and Staff as the need arises, providing these services in a responsible and pastoral approach in accord with the Parish mission and vision. This position will ensure that administrative operations are maintained in an effective and efficient manner.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide administrative support to ensure that operations in the Pastor’s Office are maintained in an effective, up-to-date and accurate manner
- Collaborate with Director of Operations and/or Business Manager in developing and implementing methods for the accurate and efficient administration of the Pastor’s Office operations and in nurturing spirit of the Pastor’s Office.
- Manage communications system of the Pastor
- Manage liturgical schedule and Parish activities of the Pastor
- Oversee Parish communications including the bulletin, website, Flocknotes and social media.
- Attend Director and Staff meetings
- Attend at least one retreat every year
Development and Parish Engagement
- Create a culture of philanthropy in the community through multiple activities during the year.
- Foster alumni and parishioner engagement, supporting multiple programs and engaging externally with the community.
- Serve as a liaison between Parish, School and range of individual donors.
- Create and organize events that engage the community as well as potential funders, collaborating with colleagues and volunteers.
- Develop plans for marketing and promotional materials to be utilized for interest and inquiry.
- Create and manage a portfolio of donors and major gift prospects capable of supporting the Parish and School.
- Support capital campaigns and special events.
- Provide strategic leadership to the leaders and volunteers and develop meaningful engagement of both the School and the Parish.
- Plan and implement an Alumni Reunion Event and an Alumni Giving Program.
- Create other meaningful opportunities for alumni such as alumni events and volunteerism opportunities.
- Support alumni communication and innovate digital strategies for communications.
- Measure and monitor the ongoing effectiveness of the fundraising program and identify areas for improvement.
- Works closely with the Director of Operations and Business Manager to identify financial needs.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 3 to 5 years of experience in fundraising, strategic planning, project management and communications functions
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook) and Google Suite (Docs, Sheet, and Slides)
- Knowledge and experience with ParishSOFT Suite and Online Giving desirable
- Bilingual, desirable
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be creative, highly organized, be very attentive to detail, have strong, creative problem-solving skills, be collaborative / work well within a team and be a self-starter with good initiative.
- Ability to effectively lead and manage staff and volunteers
- Maintains a results-oriented mindset to effectively work with staff and constituents.
- Ability to influence and engage a wide range of constituents and build long-term relationships
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and discretion, especially regarding information about donors, contributions and constituents.
- Ability to assume responsibility without direct supervision, exercise initiative and judgment; to prioritize and organize workload to complete assignments in a timely manner, and to make decisions within the scope of assigned authority
Note: This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the Director of Development and Engagement. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-time (40 hrs/week) PAY GRADE: Exempt (not eligible for overtime)
SUPERVISED BY: Pastor
St. John Eudes Parish (Chatsworth)
9901 Mason Ave
Chatsworth, CA firstname.lastname@example.org